Secrets

Dearest gentle reader,

I must send facilitations to the new Duke and Duchess of Hastings. Congratulations and stamina as they embark on the most exhilarating time in a young couple's life. I am, of course, talking of the honeymoon. Is there a more romantic notion? To retreat from society together, finally leaving watchful eyes behind. And other congratulations seem to be in order for there is to be another Bridegrton wedding. The union of Mr. Benedict Bridgerton and Miss Elizabeth Sheppard, the announcement of their engagement was presented in front of the Queen herself was seen as a true love match years in the making. One can only hope they do not outshine the Duke and Duchess with the extravagant event scheduled for the end of the season. While this author, along with the rest of the ton will certainly miss its two most remarked upon couples back in London perhaps we might find solace in the promiser of the Duke and Duchess returning to us bearing a surprise.

      Today was the Sheppard's annual garden party. Only a handful of the ton was invited, it was an exclusive event for the friends, family, and colleagues of the Sheppard. The Marquess had put special care into this year's event, celebrating his daughter's engagement and the wedding of his adoptive son. He seemed to be in a good mood as of late, smiling more and relaxing often as his children noticed the sudden change. He was happy, which meant they were happy too. And the gardens always reflected the head of the house's mood as the flowers all were in bloom, the hedges were maintained and sculpted into immaculate shapes and the birds produced a soft melody that seemed to echo through the yard.

    "This is Mama's tree" Elizabeth showed Benedict, the large cherry blossom that stood in the center of the garden, most who visited chalked it up to be an exotic prize compared to the surrounding trees; that was until you understood its meaning.

       "Papa had it planted when she died, it was her favorite at her family home. Father loves it when it blooms and the petals flutter into the winds, he always instructs that we must always open all the windows in the house to let her in" Benedict gave her a kind smile, patting her hand 

      "I would have  loved to meet her" Elizabeth looked at him with a soft smile,

      "She would've loved you" She cooed as he allowed his lips to curl upwards. "She would've loved all of you" She turned back to the crowd, mostly focusing on the Bridgerton family and her own. Her mind wandered to the thought of their families being united and she could help by grinning at the thought, Having Violet as a mother, 4 new sisters, and even more brothers would mean everything to her; especially because she'd be with Benedict. 

      "Something on your mind?" Benedict asked her curiously, snapping her out of her daze,

       "Only good things Benny" She cupped his cheek "Only good things"

      Elizabeth stood arm in arm with Benedict as they chatted with Anthony "It seems Eloise is being annoyed by your mother again" Elizabeth nudged Benedict as they saw the young Bridgerton girl roll her eyes rather abruptly after being scolded by their mother.

       "That's because Mother is trying to mold her into Daphne" Anthony sipped on his drink, earning a raised brow from her.

       "Perhaps she will start to mold her after you" Benedict smirked,

       "That would be a nightmare' Anthony spoke under his breath, Elizabeth scrunched her nose and pouted her lips as she stomped on his foot, starling the Viscount. Benedict erupted in laughter as his brother winced in pain