Problems and Solutions

The Sheppards were relaxing in the drawing room the next afternoon, the sky was a beautiful blue, and the air a cool breeze compared to the usual heat of the incoming summer. "I swear I you move one more time!" Elizabeth huffed groaning as she ripped a page from her sketchbook. 

      "What do you expect me to do? Read this page forty times?" Edward rolled his eyes and looked to their father who was sitting with Lady Danbury while they went over the decor for the wedding "Perhaps we should muzzle her" Edward retorted, earning a thick book to be thrown at his head.

       "Father!" He shot up from the couch, noticing the adults smirking grins as his face heated up 

      "Leave your sister alone she's stressed enough as it is" The Marquess chuckled while pushing back his reading glasses.

       "That doesn't mean I have to be assaulted-"

     The youngest Sheppard began to argue but was cut off as Elliot swung the barn door open nearly breaking it and startling everyone in the room.

       "What has gotten into you boy?" Lady Danbury asked in an annoyed tone. Elizabeth's gaze flickered from her sketched book, her green eyes falling to her twin's brown ones as they bulged out of his head. His hair was a mess, flopping all around and his skin was pale as he held his mouth ajar.

       "Spit it out, boy!" Lady Danbury shouted,

       "Whistledown" Elliot gulped, clutching the paper in his hand, "It's Colin" Elizabeth shot up rushing to Elliot's side, her stomach churned thinking of the worst. Perhaps Colin had run off with his fiance, tired of his family's uncertainty of the match. If they were clever enough they would have made it to Gretna Green by now, but how Whistledown would know is impossible. She grabbed the pamphlet from her brother's hands, anxiously reading the text.

Dearest Readers,

All is fair in Love and War, but some battles leave no victor, only a trail of broken hearts that makes us wonder if the price we pay is ever worth the fight. The ones we love have the power to inflict the greatest scars. For what thing is more fragile...than the human heart? The bond between man and bride is private, sacred.  But I must tell you, I have learned that a grave fraud is afoot.  As if the Featheringtons did not have enough to be dealing with, Miss Marina Thompson is with Child...and she has been from the very first day she arrived in our fair city. Desperate times may call for desperate measures. But I would wager many will think her actions beyond the pale. Perhaps she thought her only option,  or perhaps she knows no shame.  But I ask you, can the ends ever justify such retched means?

    Elizabeth shuddered, taking a few steps back as tears filled her eyes.

       "Sweetheart?"  The Marquess stood up, confused as she clasped a hand over her mouth,

       "We need a carriage quickly" She gave the paper to her father.

        "Come" She grabbed her brother's arm and pulled him out of the room,

       "Where are you going?" Lady Danbury asked

        "The Bridgertons" The Marquess quickly answered as he showed her Whistledown's newest article.

       "Oh Lord"