To Admire a Woman

"Please do not let them get into too much trouble" Elizabeth looked at her husband in the mirror before her. She was delicately braiding her hair, preparing for the soiree Lady Danbury was hosting.

     "Do you honestly think I would allow that?" Benedict smirked as he adjusted his cuff links. She pouted shifting to glance over at him.

     "It's not allowing if Elliot gets off the hook, it's more maintaining" She noted, watching as he softly shook his head. 

     "Everything will be fine" He sighed, walking over to place a kiss on her cheek, "We will have a good night tonight" He now placed a hand on her stomach "You will be lulled into sleep by the many useless talents of the ton and I will be lulled by exhausting bickering of your brothers" Her lips curled at the thought as she leaned her cheek against his arm.

      "I'd honestly take their entertainment any day" She sighed, looking down at the plain yet elegant dress that clung to her body. "I can only count down the number of social events I will be forced to endure for the sake of my sanity"  Benedict smiled again, now shifting so he stood behind her, placing his hands on her shoulders.

      "You could always start to paint again" He suggested, glancing at the open window,

      "Your mother wouldn't allow it" She crossed her arms.

      "Well, you did throw a canvas at Anthony's head...-" 

      "He wouldn't stay still!" She threw her arms in the air in frustration, he let out a small laugh at her outburst, now noticing the small hush of a carriage.

       "They are here" He stood and placed a final kiss on the top of her head. Her angered face softened as he threw his jacket on.

       "I'm serious Benedict, please watch them" She now rose from her chair "I will Lizzie, I promise"

    "Please promise me that we will have a calm night boys, if not your sister may have my head" Benedict softly spoke before opening the doors, Elliot and Edward snorted at his remark, the boys well aware of their sister's temper. But not aware of her temper these past few months.

      "We will be no problem" Elliot smirked, glancing over to his brother who nodded. "We just want a night to bond with our brother. It seems that we didn't have much time after the wedding" He patted Benedict's back,  "Plus Edward here has got to get his feet wet" Benedict saw the fire in his eyes, an intimidating stare that even forced the youngest Sheppard to grin.

       "Fine" Benedict sighed, pinching his nose "We can go all out another night but please, please not tonight, not when Mondrich needs us" Elliot looked to Edward and then back to his brother-in-law with a raised brow.

     "I guess" He drew out, dropping his hand and sagging his shoulders.

       "Slow night it is" Edward added as Benedict nodded with relief. They entered the gentlemen's room, the dim quiet room lingered with cigar smoke and small chatter. Its green walls filled with large landscapes and golden trims.

       "Mr. Bridgerton! The Sheppards!" William Mondrich exclaimed from across the room, finishing his conversation and rushing over to the trio. "You all honor me with your presence" He shook Benedict's hand, then Elliot's, then Edward's,

       "The honor is all ours Mondrich the place looks extraordinary" Benedict complimented, his brow raising at the minimal number of bodies in the room.