Benedict Bridgerton Indeed...

Dearest Readers,

It has come to this author's attention that the ton is abuzz with the most sordid tale. It is said one cannot judge a book by its cover. But in the case of the bumbling Baron Berbrooke, it seems his displeasing appearance is quite an apt metaphor for the state of affairs in his household. I would not be surprised if Lord Berbrooke were called away to the country on alleged business...Business which, perhaps, might be involved in sending some much overdue funds to one former maid and young boy, who can only hope he takes after his mother.

    Gossip buzzed around the ton quicker than a fire spread through the west end. It killed like a disease and affected everyone who surrounded it. Today was no different. 

    "This is brilliant" She held the paper up to her brothers,

      "Berbrooke has a bastard" Elliot laughed aloud in the Sheppard's drawing him. "He will leave for the country soon if he knows what is best" The Marquess spoke from the doorway, watching Elizabeth's face brighten as she re-read Lady Whistledown's work.

     "That foul git is cut from our lives forever" Edward smirked, pushing his bangs back and swiping the paper,

     "Daphne is free" She shot up from the chair "Oh thank god she is free!" She began spinning around the room filled with excitement.

     "Here I thought I was to be in-laws with the devil" Benedict's voice cut through the room, Elizabeth froze and turned to see him in the doorway.

     "I just wanted to check in on you, Daphne asked me to give you this" His lopsided grin widened as he handed her a letter.

     "Thank you Lord Bridgerton" The Marquess spoke from his chair, noticing the tension between the pair,

     "I would also like to thank you all for joining us the other day for our picnic. Mother does love it when you join our family events, she even hopes the Marquess would join some time" Benedict chuckled under his breath.

     "It was a pleasure though I do think I should apologize for my reaction" Edward sighed but Benedict began to laugh

   "Nonsense, Mother thought that the best part. If it weren't for such a public setting she would have congratulated you" Elliot snorted from across the room as he watched his little brother's demeanor change.

     "You were standing up for my sister and your own, no one blames you for that. Berbrooke deserved everything coming his way" Benedict looked around the large room he visited often and let out a long breath.

     "Now if you'll excuse me I must take my leave before Mother realizes I am gone for so long, there is a ball tonight after all" He bowed his head like a gentleman before turning to say his goodbyes to her. He fidgeted with his cuffs for a moment and took her hand.

     "Save me a dance tonight?" Benedict kissed the top of her hand gently sending her cheeks a red hot color "Perhaps" She teased, scrunching her nose. 

    "Gentlemen" Benedict lowered his head in respect "Lord Bridgerton," The three said in unison as Benedict quickly walked out. Elizabeth stood dazed for a moment, her heart aflutter as she sighed.

     "How long till he's our brother-in-law?" Elliot chuckled as Elizabeth's face became beet red and her eyes widened "Elliot!" She shrieked as she threw a pillow across the room at him.