A Rather...Big Question

Dearest Readers,

One may say modesty is a virtue, yet this author is hardly a virtuous woman. It is therefore my great pleasure to announce the news others questions, but I never doubted. The diamond of the season has made her match, officially betrothed to the Duke of Hastings. The bride undoubtedly is giddy with anticipation over the impending nuptials...an event that will apparently take place sooner rather than later. Of course, there are only two reasons to  procure a special license and race to the altar; true love, or concealing a scandal

       She only needed a day's rest before she was back on her feet. The doctor instructed her to refrain from strenuous activities and tightly bound corsets, two restrictions she was quite enjoying. 

       "I cannot believe that witch would even attempt to ruin you, I'll give her a piece of my mind the next time I see her-"

       "Don't Lizzie, Anthony and the Duke are getting a special license from the Archbishop as we speak, Cressida won't even have the time to gossip before we marry" Daphne reassured but her face spoke a different story, fear and guilt riddled her. Elizabeth gnawed on her lip, coming to Daphne's side and wrapping an arm around.

      "Everything's going to be alright Daph" Just then the front doors opened and The Viscount and Duke walked in, their faces only worsened the situation.

      "What is it?" Daphne tilted her head, pulling away from Elizabeth and walking towards her brother.

      "The archbishop..." Anthony sighed looking to the ground for more,

      nt "The archbishop what?" Daphne raised her voice like an angry mother.

        "The Archbishop said the license has been denied" Anthony spoke quickly, fearing his sister's rage as he took a step back.

     "Denied?" Daphne gasped, rage radiating off her "What on earth for?" She began to take a small breath to calm herself.

     "For some reason the archbishop of Canterbury did not think he owed me an explanation" The Viscount now met his sister's eyes, fiddling with his gloves. Elizabeth noted the worried Duke in the distance, his arms crossed and his brows furrowed as he was deep in thought.

        "If we are to wait weeks for this wedding, it gives Cressida Cowper, not to mention Whistledown and anyone else, far too much time to uncover what happened in that garden" 

       "If anyone speaks down on your name Daphne I will sock them" Elizabeth placed a hand on her shoulder.

     "No you won't" She raised her voice, it was the first time she had ever yelled at Elizabeth. "You have already hurt yourself once because of me and you won't do it again!" She scolded waving her finger around as the Sheppard girl quickly backed down. Daphne adjusted herself, taking a deep breath and looking at the Duke.

       "Simon-" The front doors opened again and a footman appeared in the foyer.

      "Lady Danbury!" He announced causing everyone to turn.

        "Welcome!" Violet Bridgerton walked into the foyer, joining the group as Lady Danbury walked in "Is anyone as famished as I?" The woman began to chuckle as Lady Danbury took her place in the center of the room, a bright smile on her face. But she knew something was wrong, she always knew something was wrong; especially when Elizabeth did not meet her eye.

       "Now this is far too grim a mood for the celebration I was counting on" She leaned on her cane, eyes narrowing as she looked at Simon "What on earth is the matter?" She asked, only to be met with silence.