꧁Oiran꧂

The Kyogoku house. That was the place I got myself into somehow. There was a lot of girls who all looked the same and wearing the same purple outfits; the only thing that made them different was their personalities.

We all took turns playing the shamisen, 3 at a time to be exact. I had some experience with it but I wouldn't have said I was as good as the other girls. They were more dynamic than me at least.

We had listened to a piece of music played on the shamisen and had to copy it. I wouldn't say I was the best of the girls but I wasn't the worst either.

I did eventually finish the session and was able to retire to my room, which I was escorted to. It was very traditional and no chairs or furniture apart from a desk. My bed was on the ground and a pillow and blanket was already set for me.

It couldn't be that bad. Right?

I woke up the next morning and heard footsteps come and go from my door. Everyone must've been awake. So like what every normal person would do, I got up and dressed up in my kimono and did my hair as neatly as possible.

"What am I even supposed to do?" I questioned myself as I walked through the halls. "Do I just have to play instruments? What good is that going to do?"

Since I was here, I had only heard about the owner of this house who had died around two days ago. No one had said any more about it though.

I did decide on exploring the place until I was given work or something; well that was until I heard a scream come from the room at the end of the corridor. Something told me not to go, but I went anyway.

There were two girls sitting outside the door with tears in their eyes. They wore dark pink kimonos and they both had black, silky hair tied in a bun.

"I'm sorry!" Another voice whimpered. "I'll clean it right now!"

There was a woman dressed in layers of expensive clothing, tons of makeup and black hair tied up with golden pins. No doubt this was the Oiran of the house. She held another young girl by her ear until it was bleeding.

I just stood by the doorway and watched until the woman turned around and noticed me. She had a pretty shocked face before she decided to talk to me.

"What are you looking at?"

"You of course." I replied. "Got a problem with that?"

"Why you little brat." She let go of the girl and raised her hand as if to hit me until someone spoke.

"She joined us yesterday madam. Please forgive her." It was one of the little girls who was sat next to the door.

"I don't give a damn if she is new. How can someone as ugly as you be hired here?"

"Don't ask me. Go ask your boss or something."

"You cheeky brat!" She gasped. "Talk to me with some respect."

"You don't really deserve any looking like that."

"I'm an Oiran for a reason."

"The wrong reason..." I whispered.

"What was that you freak?"

"Nothing."

There were multiple footsteps coming towards us then all of a sudden - SLAP!

The woman had hit me straight in the face which made me fall to my knees. Something about her was different from everyone else and she just seemed to be off.

"Please forgive her Warabihime Oiran." A man bowed his head on the ground and apologised to her. "Our customers have started to come in."

She froze and didn't even utter a word before deciding to turn around with a smile. "Please lift your head. I shouldn't have acted like that towards a new worker. Please attend to any wounds."

"Certainly, Warabihime."

꧁꧂

I ended up in a small room with a large bed and water beside me with towels after I was escorted through the house. I did get in a small bit of trouble for 'annoying' the Oiran but I didn't pay any attention to anything.

All I knew, now, is that the three young girls who were wearing dark pink kimonos were kneeling down by the end of my bed.

"Are you okay?" One of them asked.

"We brought you food!  Be sure to eat it!"

"Thank you for defending me back there. People here protect themselves but we've never met anyone like you!"

They all got up and started to leave before I could say anything more.

"See you later!"

"Hope you feel better."

"Thank you." I smiled and waved them goodbye as they closed the door.

Hmm... I wonder what the others are doing...