Chapter 9

Haley was pacing nervously in their living room. She had given Emma her first phone, and was waiting to see if she would call or text when her after-school tutoring session was over.
"Stop pacing. You're giving me whiplash. She'll call when she's ready." Kian said. "According to her schedule, the session should be over by the time you make it to the school. You go and I'll get Farrah and Jacob."

"Okay, Kian....Ugh, I feel like a helicopter parent. I gave her the phone for emergencies only..."
"She's probably playing Candy Crush on it now." Kian joked.

Haley pulled in front of Emma's school and let the girl hop into the car. The ride was quiet between them. Haley wondered what it was that Emma wanted to tell her. She decided to give her the option to talk to her.
"How did school go today, Emma?" Haley asked.
"It was okay. Not really interesting. I guess." Emma replied.
"That sounds like it could have gone better. How did the teacher look? Did he ask any questions?" She continued.
"I guess....yeah."
"Well, let's get home. You can practice your spelling with me. I've got something special planned for dinner tonight." She teased.
"You always cook something special for dinner!"
"This time I'm gonna make it my special treat. So let's hurry and get inside so I can cook."
Emma laughed and followed Haley into the house, setting her school bag in her room. She had just went into the bathroom when Haley heard her.

"Haley! There's something wrong with me!" Emma cried. Haley rushed into the bathroom and saw Emma sitting on the toilet, staring at her underwear; a small red circle stained them.

"Oh, Emma. It's nothing to worry about....did you have a girls-only health class at school yet?"

"I got a permission slip for one...but my dad forgot to sign it."
"Well, you have your first period. All women get them once a month. Just stay here and I'll get you a clean pair for underwear. You need to wear a pad. I'll get you some of mine and we can buy you your own in a few days."

Emma nodded, watching Haley disappear from the bathroom. A few minutes later, Haley came back in with a pair of panties in hand. She handed them over to Emma and told her to change into them, showing her how to put a pad inside them. When they were in place, Emma looked at herself in the mirror.
"It feels funny."
"That's okay, you'll get used to it. When I get the chance, I'll give you the details about having them." Haley was unprepared for Emma hugging her.
"I wish my mum was here to help me."
"It'll get easier, sweetheart. Don't worry about that. We're gonna help you with everything you need." Haley assured.
Later that evening, Haley sat down with Kian and gave him a heads-up.
"You told her the best you can, Haley. We'll get her one of those personal care books for girls. " Kian promised.
"Thanks babe."