Chapter 18

Johnny picked up Emma for a quick lunch that weekend.
"Am I going to come live with you, Dad?" she asked quietly while they were eating. He looked at her curiously.
"No, honey." Johnny said, swallowing his food. "Stacy is having another baby, and you moved around so much when you were with your mom. She would have wanted you to be happy. I don't want to pull you out of school, you're doing so well. You need a home with a mum and dad. I'm still your dad, I still love you. And that will never change."
"Oh. Okay."
Emma finished her meal and played on her phone.

Kian and Johnny talked briefly when he dropped Emma off.
"Did you tell her that she's staying with us?" Kian asked.
"Yeah, I did. Don't worry, she seemed happy." Johnny assured him. "I'll continue to give child support, and I truly want to be a part of Emma's life. I just don't want to  make things more difficult than they already are for her."
"Understandable. Just know that whatever changes, I want her to be happy." Kian assured him. Johnny nodded.
Later that night, Kian walked into the living room, where Haley was lounging on the couch.
"How'd it go with Emma's dad?" she inquired.
"It went well." Kian confirmed.
"That's good." Haley grinned happily.
"Yeah." He agreed, sitting next to her on the couch.
"Is something bothering you?" he asked, hugging her close.
"No." she said quickly. "Why? What's wrong?"
"Just because you seem happy doesn't mean there isn't anything wrong." he insisted. She frowned.
"I was thinking, if we got pregnant again, do you want a boy or a girl?" she blurted suddenly. Kian blinked in surprise, before smiling.
"Honestly? I don't care which it is." he confessed. "Either one makes me happier."
"Really?"
"Yes. We have more than enough room. We've still got that spare room upstairs, and all of the leftover baby furniture. Jake will be out of his cot soon."
"It'll be crowded with Emma though." Haley added
"We'll be a happy family of six, that's fine with me." He leaned forward and gave her a soft kiss. "What are you thinking?"
"I was just wondering if it wouldn't be weird. That Emma might think we were replacing her."
"I doubt that." He laughed.
"You know, a girl needs her own bathroom....and there's a guest bathroom in the playroom...let's divide that into a separate room for Emma!" Haley suggested eagerly. Kian raised his eyebrow.
"Haley, that sounds great! She'll have her own space and the kids can all play together downstairs."