Chapter 19

Haley and Kian called the kids together one night before dinner.
"We've got a big surprise for you three!" Kian announced as the kids walked in.
"A BIG SURPRISE!!?!?" Farrah exclaimed excitedly.
"Yup!"
"Are we gonna go somewhere awesome like the zoo or the movies?" Emma questioned excitedly.
"Nope, we're going to the beach for the weekend! And, Emma, you're coming with us too! We talked to your dad and he said it's okay."
"Really???" Emma exclaimed as the others cheered.
"Really. Now, tomorrow we're going shopping for new bathing suits!" Haley declared.

"When are we going to the beach?" Emma asked, smiling.
"We decided on Thursday, because of your school's holiday schedule." Kian informed. "And we're all going to be staying at a cottage near the beach."

Haley, Kian and all three kids went to the store for swim suits the next day. Farrah got a blue-green one-piece with a mermaid scale pattern. Emma's was a two-piece purple one. Jacob good a pair of swim shorts, orange with a fish pattern. It's waistband sat under his adorable little belly. Kian and Haley both got black ones.

The girls had their bags packed the night before they had to leave. The could barely sleep. They all piled into the car early the next afternoon. The cottage Kian rented was very homey. As soon as they walked in, the kids started running around, eager to get their energy out from the drive.
"Alright! Farrah and Emma, you're sharing the room just as you come in the hallway. Jake will be sleeping in his bassinet with Mummy and me." Kian said. As soon as they unpacked, they got there swimsuits on and headed for the beach. Farrah and Emma splashed in the waves, laughing. Kian couldn't remember seeing Emma so happy. Farrah just had to have her picture taken posing like a mermaid. Kian stood back admiring his daughter, watching over her and her friend. It was amazing how quickly they had become such close friends with each other. He thought about how long it had been since Emma had felt this free. Maybe this was what the saying 'it takes time to build a bridge over a chasm' meant. Haley and Jacob tagged along, the toddler leaving chubby footprints in the sand.  Kian smiled as he watched them run ahead.
He wasn't sure what the weekend would bring, but he would certainly welcome it. He was determined to show the kids that there was nothing more important than family. That nothing else mattered, because they were the only family they needed. Jacob got tired and Haley laid him on a beach blanket under the umbrella so he could sleep. Farrah and Emma made a sandcastle and collected beach pebbles and shells. Haley took a photo of Emma's and Farrah's castle. by the end of the afternoon, they all went back to the cottage. Haley had to hose the kids down to get all of the sand off. Kian made sausages on the grill, and they all ate dinner. After cleaning up, Kian and Haley took the kids for ice cream. By the time the sun was setting, everyone, even the adults, were ready for bed. Emma decided to share the bed with Farrah instead of sleeping on the floor with a sleeping bag. Jacob was curled up with his bum in the air, lost in a baby dream.

Kian and Haley took the peaceful evening to sit on the porch of the cottage. They talked quietly and watched the sky darken to purple and then indigo. The stars began to sparkle as the moon rose higher. Haley rested her head on her husband's shoulder and he wrapped an arm around her. They didn't get many moments like this after having kids.  So many adventures and trials had to happen in order to get them through those years. When they had the kids, it hadn't been possible to just relax and live like this. But now, it just felt right. There was nothing they couldn't achieve together, no obstacles they couldn't face. The possibility of having a third baby was  starting to sound appealing. Kian pulled Haley onto his lap, kissing her jaw.
"It's a perfect night, baby." he mumbled against her ear. Haley turned to look up at him.
"Yeah, it really is." she breathed.