Chapter 26

His baby girl was tiny. Her skin was pink, which was normal for babies. There was a tube coming out of her nose. That seemed very strange. Kian wanted to cry. He hated how helpless he was feeling. All he could do was wait and pray everything would be okay. He didn't even notice he was crying. The doctors were sure that her heart and lungs were developed okay.
"Don't give up, baby You're almost there." Kian whispered to her. "You are a fighter. Mommy loves you so much...."
Hours later, Haley woke up. She had been sleeping for about six hours. As she opened her eyes, she saw that Fletch and Nicky were with her.
"Kian's with the baby." Her friend told her.
"Is she...?"
"She's small but healthy."
"Thank God. I'm glad I didn't lose her...."
Fletch nodded.
"So, how's she doing?" Haley asked.
"She's fine. No problems whatsoever." Nicky answered..
"I want Kian...."
"He'll be in soon." Fletch said.
"Thanks for being here, you two. You were with me when I had my first baby, and now you're here for my third."
"Anytime, love. Rest now." Fletch replied, hugging Haley.

Kian walked in moments later. He seemed drained, but smiled softly at his wife.
"Hi! Did you sleep well, beautiful?" He smiled.
"Yeah. How's the little one?"
"Good. She's got her momma's smile." Kian smiled, kissing Haley's forehead. "What do you say we go to the NICU and see her?"
"Sounds like a good idea to me." Haley grinned.
The doctor and nurses helped her out of the bed, and they headed towards the nursery.
"She's doing great. When she gains enough weight, you can take her home. For now, though, she has to remain in the incubator for a little longer." The doctor explained.
They stepped into the room together and saw their baby girl. Kian put his hand through the opening in the incubator, stroking his daughter's forehead with his finger. Her little chest went up and down rapidly, making noises every time she breathed. A tear slipped out of Kian's eye as he stared at his baby. She was perfect, just like her mama, he thought.
A few minutes passed before Kian spoke.
"Can I hold her?" He asked.
"If you want..." A nurse said. Kian and Haley sat side by side, and a nurse handed the baby to him. She was breathing on her own now, and she could suck.
"She needs lots of human contact. Make sure that you give her a lot of love." The nurse explained. She placed some formula in the corner.
"She looks just like her mother, doesn't she?" He whispered, taking a closer look at the little one. "Her name is Kiana Jaclyn Madani."
"Yes. let's name her after Jac. She would have liked that. " Haley agreed.
Kiana started to fuss, and Kian looked over at his wife. She gave him a sad smile before looking over at their baby.
He smiled gently at his wife and handed the baby to her. The infant yawned and snuggled into her mother's arms.
"It suits her perfectly." He answered, before leaning in and kissing her.