Chapter 13

After nap time, Haley made grilled cheese sandwiches and prepared some baby food for Jacob. The younger children were very alert, digging into lunch. Emma made faces at Jacob, making him squeal.

He picked up a piece of her sandwich and stuffed it into his mouth. She laughed as he ate his food.
After lunch (and Farrah changed out of her Jasmine costume) Haley and Kian got the kids into their coats and Jacob into his pram. The five of them walked to the playground.
"Emma, why don't you show Jacob the sand pit." Haley suggested.
She nodded and led Jacob towards the sand pit. Farrah sat on the swings and let her dad push her gently.
"You want to swing, Jakey?"
"Yeah!" he replied excitedly, swinging his legs high in the air.
"I'll help you, okay?"
The two of them swung side by side. Haley smiled as she watched them. Emma played on the monkey bars, sometimes losing her grip but always landing on her feet . Kian and Haley took a seat on the picnic blanket that was spread out near the sandbox. They watched the children play together, Farrah climbing on the swings, while Jacob crawled under them, looking for bugs in the sand.
About an hour later Haley saw that Emma was getting tired.
"Hey kiddo, let's go home and get dinner made." Haley said.
Emma nodded in agreement, helping pick up the blanket and a few small baby toys that Jacob had dropped. They went back home, Jacob falling asleep in his pram and Farrah skipping along next to her mother. They brought their things inside and put everything away in the hall closet. The younger kids wanted to play, but Emma was curious about what Haley was cooking.

"What're you making?" she asked.
"A stir-fry; it has pork, green beans, mushrooms, and garlic in it. It's really simple." Haley told her.
Emma nodded.
"It's sounds good! Can I help?"
"Of course." Haley grabbed a skillet out of the cupboard. "Can you get some of the ingredients out? The chops are in the fridge with the fresh green beans and mushrooms."
Emma took the items Haley handed her, following where the older woman pointed. Emma started chopping some vegetables. She felt very grown up, using a paring knife to cut the mushrooms and slicing the garlic. Haley mixed up the stir fry ingredients in the pan. She turned it upside down and stirred the contents.

"Okay, now we got to make the rice to go with it. It's really easy; you just put it in a bowl with some water and zap it in the microwave."
When the dish was done, Haley helped Emma set the table and set up Jacob's high chair. She called everyone for dinner. As soon as they were sitting down, the kids attacked their food like starving animals. Kian poured drinks for the adults and passed the plates of vegetables around to the kids. He noticed a smudge of sauce in the corner of Farrah's mouth. He reached over and wiped it away. She squealed.
"Daddy! I'm eating!" She protested playfully.
"We know, babe." Haley grinned, pushing a plate of food in front of her.
"Thank you!" Farrah chirped. She began eating with enthusiasm.
Everyone continued to eat for another thirty or forty more minutes before they became full. Emma helped pick up the dirty dishes and helped put them in the dishwasher. The kids played for awhile before they had dessert, brownies and ice cream. Haley gave Farrah and Jacob their baths and put their pajamas on. She let them snuggle together on Farrah's bed while she read a story they would both like; Guess How Much I Love You. Jacob yawned, and Haley let him rest against her.
"Light's out, Farrah. Give Jacob a kiss good night." She told her daughter. Farrah kissed the top of her brother's head, smiling.
"Nightnight, Jakey." Farrah crooned. Haley put Jacob in his cot, covering him up with his favorite blanket. She came back into Farrah's room, tucking her in.
"I'm sleepy too mommy. Good night." Farrah smiled, rolling over to hug her pillow. Haley kissed her forehead.
"Good night my little bunny."
"Love you Mommy, sleep tight."
"I will sweetheart. Night night. Daddy will be in soon to give you a kiss." Haley sang, heading out of the room.
Kian and Haley walked back into the living room. Haley leaned in close to him, whispering.
"Do you think that they were quiet enough last night?" She joked.
"No idea, but I sure hope so. I'm exhausted already. We've got them to bed at their normal time."

Haley went into Emma's room. She had taken a shower after the kids were finished, and was reading a book they had packed up from Jac's house.

"Emma, I know you go to bed a little later, so you can stay up until you're tired. Its Sunday tomorrow, so you can sleep in. If you need us we're upstairs. Do you feel comfortable staying in your own bedroom?" Haley asked.

"Yes. I won't bother you. I'm not worried about being able to fall asleep, because the kids are right next to me." She assured Haley.

"Okay. Sleep well, Em." Haley said, hugging her.