♡ Prologue ♡

"it's not you. It's me"

A classic breakup line. Nobody believes it, not even the person saying it. It's simply a lousy attempt to make the reciprocating person not feel as shitty about themselves.

Zaria had not expected to hear them, especially from the man she had deemed the love of her life. Sure he was being distant lately, but that's normal. Every couple has rough patches and hard times. They just work through it, they always have.

Zaria felt her will begin to fall as she stood in the midst of their shared flat. She truly did believe everything would be ok because she loves him, and he loves her. So what was he doing? What was thinking?

"Tobi..." She breathed out. Her voice trembled slightly, as the tears balancing on her bottom eyelids danced along. "Please relax. We're both tired. Let's go to bed, get some rest and talk about it in the morning"

But when she took a step forward and reached her hand out to gently caress his face, her actions were interrupted mid-way, and Tobia's grip on her wrist felt as cold as his gaze, and he dropped her arm in what Zaria refused to believe, was disgust.

The dark eyes that once seemed to look at her with nothing but love, now made her feel unwelcome in her own home. They bore a hole into the heart the man had once so carefully held.

"Zaria" Tobias said sternly. "You're a good person and I genuinely loved you and all the moments we spent together" he sighed, running a hand through his hair. The frustration on his features was evident as he continued to speak. "But we're not destined to be together forever. We were only temporary"

"What did I do wrong?" Zaria asked, almost flinching at her own words.

"You didn't do anything-"

"Don't feed me that crap!" She snapped, growing frustrated, or rather using it as a front to hide all her other emotions. "You asked me to quit my job, Tobias. You told me you'd marry me and we'd grow old together. You feed me all these lies about a house with a white picket fence and the family we always dreamed of. Then the next day you turn around and claim you suddenly fell out of love and it was 'temporary' really?"

"I'll give you money if that's what you want"

Zaria was so frustrated tears began to fall down her face. She tried to hold them back, but it was no use. "Can't you fucking see that I don't want your goddamn money, Tobias! I want you...I love you"

"I've been having an affair" Tobias suddenly shouted, causing the room to fall silent. To Zaria, the world may have as well stopped spinning. Her features softened and she didn't dare hold back the sob that broke their tense silence. "She got pregnant. I want to be there for my kid"

"You..." She paused and pressed her lips together as the taste of salt from the tears tickled her tastebuds. "How long?"

Tobias groaned as he ran his fingers through his dark hair. "For the past two years with Ashley" Zaria's eyes widened. She had met Ashely. The woman was always too friendly and smiley whenever Zaria would go visit her boyfriend at the office. They'd smile and talk, and Zaria even felt her baby bump a week ago. Ashley had claimed she was already five months in. "Zar, I loved you, but Ashley- I love her now. I want to be with her, and our child."

"Go" The words pained Zaria more than they did Tobias. She wanted to swallow them as soon as they escape her lips.

"Zaria. I regret it. I just-"

"I told you to get the fuck out of my apartment" She cried out, not daring to meet his gaze, in fear her heart would simply break into pieces too small to function anymore. Tobias was silent for a moment before getting up and dragging along the suitcase Zaria had walked in on him packing.