♡ Chapter 26 ♡

The sound of Zaria's laughter caused shudders through Aubreyanne's body, and down to her stomach, causing it to twist in knots. Yet it still calmed her and she wanted to listen to it all day like a melody on repeat. 

She only scarcely glanced at Zaria who was sitting on the dark marble countertop of Aubreyanne's kitchen. Her hair was held back by a colorful ribbon, and she wore jeans with an oversized pastel pink shirt. 

Aubreyanne turned back to the oven. The warm dim light from inside let her observe the soon-to-be cake through the glass. 

"You know watching them isn't going to make it bake any faster or better," Zaria said with a small smile as she watched Aubrey. 

Aubreyanne was well aware of that, but right now she needed anything to distract her. After she'd stayed up all night, due to a dream of her confessing her feelings to Zaria. She didn't trust herself to speak in fear it would end badly.

She and Zaria had gone back to normal after about a week. Aubreyanne didn't bring it up to Zaria but one day they just wordlessly went back to being them and Aubrey was happy enough with that. 

"Re- Zaria" She called, still facing her back to the woman who let out a small hum of acknowledgment to let Aubrey know she was listening.

When Aubreyanne didn't continue Zaria tilted her head as if to try to look at her face. "Aubrey," She asked softly. 

Aubrey hated the way her heart spread up just from Zaria saying her name like that with so much care. She walked over standing in front of her, but at a safe distance between them. Due to the additional height from sitting on the counter, Zaria looked down at Aubreyanne to meet her gaze. "Are you alright?"

Aubreyanne nodded. "Can I ask you a question?" She said softly and with the intensity of her gaze Zaria could only let out a barely audible hum in response.

Just when she gathered her thoughts and was ready to speak only the echo of the doorbell could be heard through the house. 

Instinctively, and without much thought Zaria jumped down from the counter causing her to stand right in front of Aubreyanne. 

They both froze as the space between them became non-existent and both their breaths seemed to be still. Their eyes stayed glued to each other but nobody spoke and Aubreyanne could hear her heart banging against her ribcage but she hoped Zaria didn't. 

The doorbell rang again causing Aubrey to take a step back and leave to go answer it. Zaria on the other hand took a moment to calm her spreading heart and mind before following her into the hallway where the small family had spilled through the door.

"Zaria" Kathy grinned as she released Aubreyanne's leg and run over to Zaria who happily picked her up.

Case and Jackie both hugged her as they settled in the living room. Light conversation flowed between the four women and only ceased when two hours later the doorbell rang again. 

Aubreyanne got up to answer it but Zaria insisted she'd do it and Case immediately agreed to let her. So Aubrey gave in and let Zaria get the door. Zaria felt her stomach turn in knots as she reached for the doorknob. This would either make or break Aubreyanne's day and possibly make her hate Zaria. 

"You came," She said as she opened the door, letting the tall man step in. He looked similar to Aubreyanne with dark brown eyes and dark brown hair.

"Where is she?" He whispered and Zaria pointed to the living room, where voices could be heard. She led him there but stopped at the entrance.

"I have a surprise for you," She said pulling Aubrey's attention but Case and Jackie just shared a knowing smile. 

"What is it?" She asked watching Zaria wordlessly step aside and motion for him to walk in. Aubreyanne's expression fell blank and they all held their breath waiting for her to say something. 

"Hey little sister, long time no see," Auden said with a smile. 

Aubreyanne blinked once, then twice then she got up and walked over pulling him into a hug that he quickly returned.  

Case dragged Zaria and Jackie to the kitchen to help get some snacks and give the siblings some time to talk. Sure Zaria had the Idea to surprise Aubreyanne and get Auden to come to see her, but Jackie had helped get in contact and Case did most of the talking and arrangements. 

When they walked into the room again Aubreyanne and Auden had settled on the couch. They were talking and smiling as Aubreyanne gently braided Kathy's hair who was distracted by the tv. 

Auden seemed to have told her how he got here and Aubreyanne thanked them all. They spent the evening in conversation. Auden told them all about how he moved to Norway and now worked as an architect. He lived with his girlfriend he'd met in university.

He had also revealed that Austin had cut him off too, but at the very least he was assured that his brother was still alive. They all laughed and shared stories as the evening went by. 

Aubreyanne couldn't be happier. She had all the people she loved and held dear in one room. It was impossible to wipe the smile off her face all evening.

The evening slowly faded into night and as it did everyone had to leave. Kathy had school the next day and Auden was pretty jet-lagged and headed back to his hotel after promising to visit the next morning. 

As Aubreyanne came back into the house after walking Auden out to his cab, she noticed Zaria was no longer seated on the couch where she'd left her. 

"Zaria" She called out slowly walking around. Zaria walked out of the kitchen holding a chocolate cake in her hands, she'd just finished adding the frosting. 

"We forgot about it" She chuckled setting it down on the table as Aubreyanne walked over with a small smile. 

Her gaze was on Zaria rather than the cake and her cheeks already hurt a lot from all the smiling but she couldn't help it. She watched Zaria cut out a piece and picked some of it up with a fork that she held out for Aubrey to try. 

Aubrey leaned forward and took the offer, her eyes still glued to Zaria. "It's good" She mumbled stepping back. "And thanks again. For my brother, it was a nice surprise" 

"You don't have to thank me," Zaria said softly as Aubreyanne took a step closer. Zaria didn't move but held her breath slightly as Aubreyanne leaned forward, both their eyes scanning each other for some sort of reaction. She could feel Aubreyanne's soft breath and was positive Aubreyanne could hear her heart as she looked into her eyes trying to guess what she was doing.

Before Zaria could react Aubreyanne's arms wrapped around her shoulders pulling her closer until their bodies were pressed together. Aubrey's head landed on her shoulder and Zaria let out a soft breath she buried her face in Aubrey's shoulder and wrapped her arms around her waist.

Neither of them failed to pick up on how fast the other heart was beating, like they were in a race as they embraced each other. Aubreyanne had been counting down in her head.  Not how long they hugged, but how much longer she'd get to hug Zaria. Three weeks.

Three weeks until Zaria left, but neither of them spoke about it. It was like they both tried to savor the last of their time together. It's not like they'd be too far since her hometown was only an hour away, but then again they really wouldn't see each other often with their busy schedules.

 Zaria lifted her head and softly whispered. 

"Happy birthday Aubreyanne"