♡ Chapter 8 ♡

Zaria sat at her desk on Friday morning, she already felt both mentally and physically exhausted. The only thing keeping her going was simply the thought of the weekend, coffee didn't even seem to work anymore.

She ran a hand through her hair and stared blankly at the screen of her computer.

"Regan" She looked up to see Aubreyanne standing beside her cubical. It had become so regular that nobody turned to stare anymore. "Did you finish the approvals?"

Zaria had to bite her lip to resist groaning out loud. "Not yet. I've been preoccupied with making sure the work plan is up to date" That, and just staring blankly at her computer because her brain refused to work. "Can Antonio do them?"

"I made you head of the project did I not?" Aubreyanne asked raising an eyebrow. She seemed to second guess her words and just sighed. "We can go over them together. I don't want to overwork you, but you're also the only person I trust to get this done to the standard. It's due Monday morning so today is our last day"

"That works. Once I'm finished with these I'll come to your office" Zaria said glancing back at the blank document with a grimace.

"Good," Aubreyanne said walking off towards her office. Zaria took a deep breath and then tried to conjure up all the energy she had left in her into her work.

"Shit Shit Shit" Zaria mumbled under her breath as she slammed her laptop shut and fumbled to gather and pack all her things. She hadn't really thought much about it when Colin and a few other employee's had said goodbye and he mentioned something about going home soon.

Only when she got a call from her brother and he mentioned eating dinner, did she realize it was late. The only thought that was on her mind now was the fact that Aubreyanne was going to kill her. She whipped around only to be met with Aubreyanne.

"Glad to see you remembered Regan," She said glancing down at Zaria who just smiled shyly.

"sorry. I got caught up in work, and it slipped my mind then Zach called and I was like 'oh my..' then I started rushing to come to see you hoping you'd been busy too. But I can do it myself now don't worry about it" Zaria sighed. "please don't fire me"

"Why would I fire you?" Aubreyanne asked walking towards her. "I mean do you want me to?"

"No of course not"

"Then let's go" Aubreyanne walked past her and to the elevator, the turned back. "they need to lock up the office so the rest of the workers can go home."

Zaria quickly followed after her. Had Aubreyanne just ignored what she said about doing the work alone? maybe she heard and she just wanted Zaria out of the office. Oh god, she really needed to get herself together.

"You know where my place is right?" Aubreyanne asked once they were standing in the parking lot. Zaria nodded, still not sure what to say. "Great. You can go home first if you want and meet me there. We can finish the approvals"

Zaria was about to protest and suggest a cafe or something instead but Aubreyanne had already begun walking off to her car. A cold breeze swept by making Zaria shiver slightly and give up, and she made her way to her car.

~ ~ ~ ~

Having a staring contest with wood for five minutes really isn't any fun, and Zaria could tell you that. But she yet again found herself on Aubreyanne's doorstep unable to knock. The first time she had almost had a panic attack and here she was once more.

The cold night air was the only thing that pushed her hand up to tap against the surface three times before she lowered it once more, waiting for a response.