♡ Chapter 6 ♡

Classical music floated from the live band in the corner of the room as people in elegant dresses and suits waltzed around. Some chated over their glasses of champagne and others sway to the music. Yet despite the smiles and light tones, the atmosphere lacked any positive attributes.

"If it isn't Aubreyanne Kaine. It's been too long stranger"

Aubreyanne had been keeping mostly to herself, only consulting a few people for the sake of it. Otherwise she'd been in the corner, her eyes scanning over the room as she nursed the same glass of champagne for the entire gala. She turned around and was met with the face of an old companion, or friend if you would dare.

Justin Brooks, a young man only a year older than Aubreyanne. They'd known each other through elementary to high school due to their fathers being in the same circle.

Just like her, Justin had taken over his father's company a few years back and they'd worked closely for some time but as the companies grew so did they grow apart.

"Oh hey. it's been a while" Aubreyanne said with a soft smile.

Justin picked up a glass from a waiter passing by. "Yea, I was positive I'd run into you here. I just wasn't sure if the great goddess would spare me the light of day"

Aubreyanne chuckled and shook her head lightly. "Oh please. Like you haven't been making headlines and flying to every country on the planet"

"Well, I will admit things have been going well" He smirked. "Did I mention you still look as beautiful as ever."

Aubreyanne rolled her eyes. "And you're still as flirtatious as ever"

"I prefer the term charming" he corrected in a matter-of-fact tone with a soft chuckle.

"Whatever you say" Aubreyanne shrugged taking a small sip from her class.

"So how have things been? Tell me everything I missed since we last talked" Justin said, mirroring her actions.

"Why do you want to know?" Aubreyanne asked raising an eyebrow.

Justin playfully nudged her arm with his elbow. "Come on don't act like you don't miss us. I do, and who knows when I'll get graced with your attention again" he pleaded. "How about I go first?"

Aubreyanne rolled her eyes "Alright go ahead"

Justin lit up like a little kid and set his glass down. "Ok so a few months ago I traveled to Italy for a week..."

~ ~ ~ ~

"There's no way that actually happened" Aubreyanne laughed as she climbed up the porch steps leading to her house.

"I swear it did. He went bat shit crazy the next day and yelled at everyone, tossing papers around. The whole shebang" Justin exclaimed, as he wore a smile so wide you'd think it hurt.

Aubreyanne calmed down from her laughter, as she came to a stop in front of the door. "I have to hear all the other stories from that trip," She said turning to him. "But thank's for driving me home, I would have still been fine taking a taxi you know"

Justin shrugged her off with a smile. "it was no problem. I was having suck a good time anyway I dreaded it coming to an end"

"Me too. You made the night way more bearable. You should be in town more often for these things" She sighed. "I'd prefer this over everyone trying to negotiate deals the whole night"

"Yea what's up with that anyway? I thought it was a party" Justin chuckled. "Oh, speaking of being in town, I'm here for the next three or so months. We should meet up sometime...maybe coffee?"

Aubreyanne seemed to ponder over his offer and nodded, with a glint in her eyes. "Sure...I'll try to make some time in my oh-so-busy schedule"

"I hope you dare make a few hours for a local like me," he said with a small wink.

Aubreyanne chuckled as she slid the suit jacket off her shoulders, letting the cold of the night brush over her and her skin break out in goosebumps. She slowly handed it over to Justin who was watching her intently. "Well, I did have a good night. See you soon"

"Wait actually before we say goodbye, I wanted to ask for your number...so we can plan that coffee date. I kind of lost it" He said nervously fiddling with the jacket in his hands.

Aubreyanne contemplated it for a minute before giving him her personal number. Justin called her to confirm before he headed down the porch waving goodbye as he watched Aubreyanne step into her house.