♡ Chapter 19 ♡

The weekend came to an end and Zaria didn't receive a single message from Aubreyanne, not even a response to the text the night she left the dinner.

Zaria had to admit it did feel kind of shitty, but Aubreyanne never did things without a reason so she probably had one. She was enjoying her honeymoon phase.

Zaria sighed and pushed up from the couch. She would have left for work by now but then again she was also usually about half an hour early.

By the time it came for their Monday meeting Zaria was already feeling better as she walked into the conference room. On the way, she heard all sorts of things, but some just kept playing in her head.

"Did you see Miss. Kaine this morning? She was so happy it's...unnatural"

"Yea. I've been working here for two years and I saw her smile for the first time"

"I heard she got a boyfriend"

Zaria settled in her seat between Antonio and Colin and indeed the rumors weren't quite far off. Although Aubreyanne still looked intimidating there was something slightly off, like she was lighter on her feet and somewhat bubbly. Even Andy seemed to notice, looking up from his papers even before she spoke.

~ ~ ~ ~

"Regan, I need you to look over these for me," Aubreyanne said placing a slim folder on Zaria's desk causing her to look up from her computer screen.

She nodded, not trusting her mouth to even open. the last thing she wanted to do was ask Aubreyanne a stupid question like why she felt too bothered with Aubreyanne's new relationship? Yet as a friend, she should be happy for her.

As the cherry on top Aubreyanne seemed to be the only one in the whole office who didn't notice Zaria's foul mood. And it just seemed to make her more bitter that Aubreyanne was already so far wrapped up in her own little bubble.

So she decided to think over her feelings, and came to the conclusion that she wasn't unhappy about Aubreyanne finding love, at least not entirely, her conclusion was that she was simply just bitter because she missed the feeling of being in a relationship. It was the first time someone close to her started dating since her own breakup and the topic of love was still a little too sour.

But still, that was a selfish way of thinking, so she decided she'd be happy for Aubreyanne because if she was being honest Aubreyanne was the happiest Zaria had seen her in the office, and it was a good thing. She desired someone to make her happy beyond just the friendship they had developed.

It actually made her consider dating again. Serena had been encouraging her about it too, but she pushed the idea away with the excuse that it was too soon. While in reality, it was almost a full year and she was just scared of feeling such scrutinizing internal pain again she'd rather avoid it at all costs even if that came at the price of lonleyness

Maybe it was because she was simply tired, or because of what she was thinking about, but she was almost unmoved by Tobias standing at her doorstep. She only glanced at him and after a moment of silence spoke.

"What do you want?"

Tobias was dressed neatly in a suit, holding a bouquet of flowers and chocolates in each hand. He'd very clearly made an effort in his appearance and even styled his chestnut brown hair slicked back. Zaria felt her heart slightly swell, but not of joy. It was one of a wound that had set in and beginning to hurt. She'd be lying if she said he didn't look handsome, and his nervous smile carried familiarity that her heart automatically associated with home...and love

"Zar, baby. Please give me a second chance, just a moment of your time. I...I just want to prove that we can be happy together like we once were and I'll make myself worthy of your love" He said. This time he kept his distance but his eyes were glued to hers and behind his dark pupils lay desperation with a small glint of hope.

"Tobi...as," Zaria said clearing her throat as she cringed at the nickname that only made his hope shine brighter. "I'll say this once...I don't have time for this, for love, for you"

"She cheated on me" Tobias admitted, and Zaria just simply raised an eyebrow. "Ashley....she gave birth two months after you and I...split" He mumbled shuffling nervously. "I found out the kid wasn't mine but she lied to me that it was because I- unlike the actual father could provide financial security"

Zaria scoffed. "So you run back to me thinking I'll take you back?" Zaria asked, her tone growing irritated. "Because you didn't like the taste of your own fucking medicine"

Tobias shook his head. "No. I realized even before that. She didn't treat me as well as you did. She never woke me up with my favorite breakfast, randomly treasure and tell me she loves me, or simply sat by me when I had to pull all-nighters for work. It's the little things like that I took for granted but once you left I realized how rare it is to get someone who genuinely cares for you like that. And believe me, if I could I would turn back time and fix all my wrongs. So give me a chance to please"

Zaria dropped her arms and looked into his eyes, she could see the sincerity behind them, like he meant every word he said. "Didn't I already say I don't have time for this?"

He stepped forward, handing her the flowers and chocolate. "Promise me you'll sleep on it at the very least" And he'd walked away before she could respond.

Zaria tossed the chocolates on the table along with the bouquet and plopped down on the couch. Her mind felt so crowded and foggy.

She should have known by now that life was a series of hills and you never stay at the top for as long as you struggled to climb up, and quickly fall all the way to the lowest parts of the valleys, but that still only meant one thing.

She'd be at the top once more soon