♡ Chapter 5 ♡

Four am on a weekday, the sun has yet to rise and the fog still blankets the low buildings of the city, accompanied by a cold breeze that makes a perfect atmosphere to just cuddle up to your partner or blankets and savor the last few hours of sleep before you'd have to get up and go about your day. 

Yet Aubreyanne Kaine was already up and running. Literally. She followed her usual trail around the city and through the park at the center, then round and back up to her house, which rested among many others on a hill. 

She always began her day with a run, to clear her head, and shake off any doubts. She'd just had a moment to herself. A moment when everyone was still busy asleep to watch her every move and judge her. She felt at peace and it was the only time she could be her and that made it more than worth it to get up so early.

Three hours later and she'd done some work from her home office, taken a shower and gotten ready, stopped by her favorite drive-through to get her coffee, and headed to the office, all in good time.

"Miss Kaine. Your invitation for the Faqan gala tonight arrived" Andrew said as she walked through the automatic glass doors of Kaine Ltd's main office. 

She took the card from him with her free hand, her other busy with coffee and her handbag hung on her forearm. The invitation was beautiful with gold detailing on the white paper and elegant calligraphy writing. She dreaded having to go to another boring social event, but she had no choice if she wished to uphold her status.

Andrew followed her into the elevator where they both let out a small breath. He was one of the few people that didn't fear her because they knew her. She had met him when he was a homeless and broke teenager who'd been kicked out and disowned by his parents for being gay. 

Aubreyanne had taken him under her wing and made sure he finished his last year of high school and got a degree at university. She hadn't just taken pity on him but she saw potential in him. So when Andrew returned after his graduation insisting on working for her she didn't hesitate to make him her first and only personal assistant. 

She trusted him more than anyone else working under her, and he'd seen how far she'd come. Nobody knew, of course, they all just thought he was hired like everyone else here, but that didn't make him any less deserving of his position. he was still a hard and diligent worker.

The elevator doors opened revealing the top floor. When they stepped out of the elevator Andrew left her side to go speak with some other employees but Aubreyanne's gaze immediately fell on Zaria and Colin who stood by the coffee machine on the other side of the room.

Zaria was laughing at something Colin said, and Aubreyanne's eyes slid into a glare, her lips slightly scowled. When Colin noticed the pair of eyes glaring at him he stopped laughing and looked just about ready to shit his pants. Zaria followed his gaze, and when her eyes met Aurbeyanne's her lips curled into a small smile and she waved at her. Aubreyanne couldn't explain it but as she saw Zaria lean in to whisper something to him she felt even more irritated. 

She was just in a bad mood about the whole gala thing. She convinced herself as she turned around and headed for her office.

She could hear the slight tapping of shoes before Zaria was at her side, walking like they were friends. "Hey, I just remembered I forgot to ask you to sign and approve the work plan...which may or may not need to be mailed in by tomorrow morning. I'll ask Andrew to bring it to your desk in a few" 

Aubreyanne glanced at her and nodded. "Sure, I'll see it done," She said before stepping into her office and shutting the door behind her. Once she was alone as usual she slumped down on her seat and took a deep breath in an attempt to stay sane. 

She set the invitation on her desk along with her coffee and bag, hoping she would magically get the motivation to get up and go socialize with a bunch of people she didn't even like all night in an uncomfortable dress. Speaking of which, she'd have to leave the office early to get ready for the gala and make it in time. 

There was a knock on the door, and just from the pattern, she knew she didn't have to straighten out and only sighed. "Just come in" She mumbled. 

Andrew walked in and set a few papers down at her desk. "I only sorted the important documents that need to be gone through today. Otherwise, I've informed everyone you'll be out of the office early today." 

Aubreyanne nodded and sat up, pulling the stack in front of her. "Thanks Andrew" She received a curt nod and smile as Andrew left the office, shutting the door behind him and leaving Aubreyanne alone once more. 

Hours later her eyes glanced up to the clock and she sighed and packed the remaining documents in her bag. She could just do them tomorrow morning after her run. Once everything was tidy she picked up her bag and headed back to her house to get ready for the gala. 

She eventually forced herself into one of her silk red dresses that like many of her clothes, fit perfectly enough to outline her figure, a slit down her right leg revealed her black high heels. Just as she was doing her hair a ringing echoed around the room.

From the default ring tone she could tell it was her work phone, the number she gave to people when their relationship was strictly business. Only about ten people had her actual number. It was an unknown number, and despite it being past office hours she still picked up. 

"Aubreyanne Kaine speaking," She said setting the phone on speaker as she continued to slide pins into her hair to hold it in place. 

"Hey, it's Zaria...Yea about the work plan you said you'd sign before tonight so we could mail it..." Zaria dragged on. 

"Oh- I'm so sorry about that. It slipped my mind" She groaned dropping her hands. "I'm pretty sure I should still have it. Can you come pick it up?"

There was some shuffling before Zaria responded. "Sure, are you at the office?" 

"At my house actually. I'll send you the address" Aubreyanne mumbled, as she rummaged through her office bag. 

"Huh- Wait you want me to come to your house?" Zaria choked out. 

Aubreyanne couldn't help but roll her eyes. "Just get here in five minutes Regan, I have to be somewhere" Without giving Zaria a chance to respond Aubreyanne cut the call and sent her address to the number before sitting down to read through and sign the documents. 

A while later there was a knock on her door, causing Aubreyanne to pause in the middle of touching up on her makeup, the documents long signed and set aside. She picked them up and headed for the door. 

When she opened it Zaria stood there mumbling something to herself, but stopped when Aubreyanne fully swang the door opened. If it wasn't for the sunset Aubreyanne would have sworn Zaria's face grew red. 

"you're late," She said handing Zaria the file.

"Oh, yea sorry. Turns out you live on the complete opposite side of town from my apartment and there was some traffic" She said before meeting Aubreyanne's eyes. "You looked really nice by the way" 

Aubreyanne raised an eyebrow, as she crossed her arms over her chest almost defensively. 

"No, I don't mean it like that. I'm not checking you out, but I just noted you look nice. It's like  when you see a pretty flower and it's like 'wow that's a beautiful flower' like you acknowledge its beauty but you aren't checking out the flower you just acknowledge-" 

Aubreyanne couldn't stop the chuckle that escaped her lips. Zaria's rambles never failed to amuse her with how far the woman was willing to go to explain simple things. "Relax Regan I won't kill you," She said using her hand to cover her smile. "Thank you though...I have a gala this evening that's also why I left early" 

"Ah" Zaria nodded, clearly embarrassed. "Well, I guess I'll let you get going as I mail these. Have a good time" Zaria waved making her way down to her car that was parked in the driveway.

Aubreyanne sighed and grabbed her purse and keys. Have a good time. She seriously doubted she would.