♡ Chapter 21 ♡

A few weeks dragged by and Zaria and Aubreyanne hadn't spoken to each other directly about anything that didn't involve work. They'd come to a silent decision to keep professional, but everyone in the office would feel the tense atmosphere whenever the two were placed in the same room.

Nobody dared to ask either woman what had happened between them, as even Zaria had become slightly more snappy and on edge. That was until Colin felt particularly curious and courageous one morning.

"Hey," He said leaning back in his seat so he could see Zaria over the divider between their cubicles. Zaria only let out a hum to let him know she was listening. "Did something happen between you and Miss Kaine?"

Zaria stopped writing and just sighed. "No not at all" She mumbled.

"Oh well, yea" Colin was silent for a moment before. "It's just that whenever we're in the Monday meeting you two are....tense?"

Zaria didn't respond, but the sound of the pen scratching the paper resumed as she continued to write.

"Not that it's my business, but I think everyone's noticed it. I thought at first that maybe you'd disagreed on something because you both have different Ideas but-"

"Oh my god. Colin nothing happen just go back to work" Zaria snapped, and when her gaze met Colin's he seemed to visibly panic. "Oh my. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to snap at you" She sighed. "You're right I'm a bit on edge. I'll take a walk to cool down"

She apologized to Collin once more before leaving her office and heading down to the bathrooms, she had remembered one of the cleaners mentioning nobody every goes there due to them being farther away from the main office.

She pushed the door open but froze at the sound of shuffling in one of the stalls, then silent sniffles. Slowly she walked forward and saw a pair of black flat shoes from under the last stall.

The door swang open and in a panic Zaria slipped into the next stall not sure what to do. Or how to comfort a random co-worker crying in the bathrooms. The person walked up to the sinks and water could be heard hitting the porcelain of the sink as they just let it run.

"I know you're there Zaria"

She slowly stepped out, half in shock. "You didn't call me Regan" She mumbled walking up to Aubreyanne. "Wanna talk about it?" Zaria felt her stomach sink at Aubreyanne's slightly bloodshot eyes but they didn't look bad enough to guess she was crying. She just looked really tired.

Aubreyanne scowled, keeping her gaze on the running water. "You're just an employee like everyone else in the building" She mumbled. "Maybe we should keep it that way"

Zaria sucked in a breath and leaned back against the sink. "You know I didn't mean that" She admitted. "I do care for you a lot...I just let my anger get the best of me at that moment and my pride stopped me from correcting my mistake"

"You care about me a lot?" Aubreyanne asked softly getting a nod from Zaria.

"Of course I do, you're my friend after all,." She said turning off the sink. "but that doesn't mean I'll let you just change the subject"

Aubreyanne frowned at her again. She was sure she'd succeeded in doing so. But Zaria's pressing gaze told her she wouldn't win this one and she just sighed and dropped her front, not like it was doing much anyway.

"I broke up with Justin...this morning" She mumbled. "I know he wasn't right, and it was a good decision but it still hurts for some reason" Zaria pulled her into a hug, and Aubreyanne slowly wrapped her arms around Zaria's waist in return. "I was a shitty friend for ignoring my friends over a man, aren't I?"

"It wasn't intentional and I can bet you nobody is holding it against you" Zaria said pulling away from the hug. She felt horrible and it hurt her to see Aubreyanne sad, but she hated it more that a small part of her was thankful for whatever caused Aubreyanne to see that he just wasn't good for her.

As much as she wished to ask what that was, she knew way better. Aubreyanne always opened up on her own accord and Zaria had learned to respect that.

"Hey how about we hang out this weekend. Like we did before" Aubreyanne said with a small smile and quickly added. "If you don't already have plans this weekend that is"

Zaria had infact considered going back to her home town that weekend, but that could wait. She smiled at Aubreyanne and nodded "Of course we can. I still have a few things to check off my list"

"You know. I kind of did miss our outings" Aubreyanne said leaning on the sink beside Zaria. "They beat sitting in a coffee shop all day, by a long shot"

Zaria let out a small laugh as she tilider her head to the side so she could see Aubreyanne better. "Is that what you've been doing?"

"Basically" Aubreyanne shrugged. "Remind me not to date boring people again....or anyone for that matter"

Zaria playfully nudged Aubreyanne's side with her elbow. "Hey don't say that. The right person may just come along" She smiled at her before getting up. "Now let's go and actually get some work done"

Aubreyanne stared at her for a moment with a blank expression before stnaind upright and nodding. "Sure, Regan"