♡ Chapter 15 ♡

Soon Zaria's mirage came to be shattered as she learned that despite most of the rumors revolving around Aubreyanne we're lies, the ones about her being busy as hell most definitely weren't false. She'd barely seen the woman over the past two months. Sure they were always in meetings or working on documents together, but then they were professionals. 

Aubreyanne had either been in meetings, out of town, or just unreachable. Still their friendship had continued to grow as they became more comfortable making small jokes from time to time when it was just the two of them working on something in Aubreyanne's office, but those moments never lasted more than a second. They had gotten way closer than either had expected, but none complained.  Although it's not like it was entirely on Aubreyanne, Zaria had taken two weekends to go visit her hometown and family, having missed them too much.

And if Zaria was being honest, she missed the weekends they'd spend together. Serena's company was still much appreciated though. Zaria remembered when they had hung out in her apartment the previous night, both just getting work done.

"So what I'm hearing is that you miss her" Serena said without looking up from her diagram of what Zaria guessed was a mitochondria. 

"I don't miss her per se...I just wish she had more time for me as she did before I guess" She mumbled,  throwing herself back on the couch. "God I sound needy, don't I?"

"Just a little." Serena looked up from her papers with a smile. "But I think you should just tell her that, or at least put more effort. From what I've heard Aubreyanne wouldn't mind clearing her schedule" Serena said. 

Inthe moment Zaria had just rolled her eyes, but she still found herself standing in front of the familiar wooden door. She was no longer nervous when going in, but now she wasn't sure. She didn't know how Aubreyanne would react to her bringing it up at work. Maybe she should just text. 

Yet she found herself knocking and stepping into the office at the sound of Aubreyanne's voice. Aubreyanne looked up from her computer, and a small smile was present on her face. "Need anything?"

"Just wanted to see if you were already all booked for this weekend," Zaria said shyly as she shut the door behind her.

Aubreyanne seemed to think about it for a moment. "Well I did agree to have breakfast with Justin Saturday" Aubreyanne pondered. Zaria frowned at the mention of the man, although she tried to cover it up. Aubreyanne had been spending all her time with him lately since he was apparently back in town now.

"But I'm free after that" Aubreyanne said, making Zaria perk up slightly.  "Did you want to spend time together?"

Zaria nodded, a smile playing onto her lips. "Yea...I was thinking we should maybe go out for those slushies I promised" 

Aubreyanne nodded. "Sounds like a plan," She said tilting her head slightly. 

"Alrighty. I'll leave you to work" Zaria said walking back to the door. Sshe turned around just before she left, remembering the actual reason she'd come to Aubreyanne's office, well it was more of an excuse. "Oh and Andy wanted me to inform you that the adjustments you asked for on the field budget have been made and are waiting for your approval" 

Aubreyanne nodded and forced her gaze from the door after Zaria left the room.

~ ~ ~ ~

"Justin this Justin that. As much as I love you and I'm your best friend. I'm team Zaria all the way" Case announced proudly, causing Kathy who was playing on the grass with Charlie to perk up and yell. "Me too!"

Aubreyanne glared at both of them. "There is no team Zaria, or Justin for that matter" 

Case didn't respond as she just smugly snuggled into her wife, causing the bigger woman to sigh at her antics. "Babe, we shouldn't be taking sides in Aubreyanne's love life," Jackie said as she snaked an arm around Case's waist.

"There is no love life" Aubreyanne groaned, causing both women to chuckle.

"I was just kidding though. I still want to hear every detail of your breakfast date" Case said, leaning her head on Jackie's shoulder. 

"Weren't you meeting Zaria today too?" Jackie asked. 

"Yea but-"

"Oh, Aubreyanne Kaine, two dates in one day. You sly fox"

Aubreyanne glared at Case with a sigh. "There are no foxes- or dates- or whatever" She muttered, slumping in her seat in defeat.

Jakie gently slid Case off her, as she stood up. Causing the blond woman to pout slightly, but Jackie just laughed. "I'm going to get some more snacks. Baby no teasing Aubrey anymore, she might explode" Jackie chuckled walking into the house through the glass sliding door.

Case watched her with such a loving gaze until she was gone. It was clear how much she loved her wife she was convinced Jackie was the most beautiful woman to walk this planet. Jackie herself ahd always been insecuse bring an African woman with dark skin, and a little on the bigger side which was one of her biggest insecurities but to Case, they made her even more perfect.

"You two make me think love can actually be a beautiful thing" Aubreyanne fake gagged, pulling Case from her daze.

"If you're jealous just say that" Case chuckled as she rolled her eyes. 

"Me? Never" Aubreyanne said crossing her leg over the other, as her eyes followed Kathy who was running around with the big golden retriever padding behind her.

After a moment Aubreyanne got up, stretching her limbs. "I should probably get going. I was to meet Zaria for late lunch" After she'd bid Case and Kathy goodbye she headed into the house, to exit through the front door.

"You're leaving already?" Jackie asked as walked out of the kitchen with a tray of snacks. 

Aubreyanne nodded. "Yea. I need to meet Zaria" She paused for a moment, pressing her lips together. "Can I...Can I ask you a question?"

"Sure" Jackie set the tray down on the dining table. "What's bothering you?"

Aubreyanne sighed and leaned against the wall. "How did you know Case was....the one," She asked, with furrowed eyebrows. All of a sudden staightened up "Never mind it's a stupid question. I should go freshen up now" Before Jackie could answer she had left the house and was seated in her car, heading home. 

Her phone vibrated, causing her to take it out expecting a text from Zaria or Tobias. 

Jackie Miller: I can't give you a straight answer, because for me...I just knew. Case made me feel like I was perfect. She never looked at my flaws as flaws and she was always there for me. When I'm with her I don't feel like I need to pretend or impress her. I feel at home. I hope you find that person too, you deserve it.