♡ Epilogue ♡

"Mrs. Regan," Colin said walking into her office with a file in his hand. "Abigael and Gabriel are here for you"

Aubreyanne looked up from the papers she was signing and smiling. "Just send them in. I'm done for the afternoon"

Colin nodded and left after setting the documents he'd come in with on her desk. A few moments later the door to Aubrey's office burst open and two kids came running through.

Both raced, seeing who could get to their mother first, and the little girl with dark brown hair and hazel eyes reached first, slamming into the side of the office chair. The boy with shorter darker hair and lighter eyes run into her trying to throw his arms around his mom.

Aubrey chuckled and picked up each of them to sit on her lap.

"How was school, my angels?" She asked pushing away the papers she was packing.

"It was good today I played with..."

"Mom look at the gold star the teacher gave me.."

Aubrey nodded, trying to listen as both toddlers spoke excitedly over each other. "Alright, alright. How about we go pick mama up from work?"

They both agreed and Gabriel jumped down first and walked out of her office as Abigael waited for Aubrey to finish packing to hold her hand as they left.

They found Gabriel excitedly talking to Andrew about a show he was watching and Andrew seemed to be paying more attention to the six-year-old than to the papers he was printing.

"Gabe, let's get going" Aubreyanne called to him and they all waved Andrew goodbye as they left for the car waiting for them downstairs. With both of them working full time the best choice for getting the kids to and from school was to hire and driver.

As if expecting them, Aubreyanne found her wife at the front desk chatting with the lady behind it, but the second they walked in she wrapped up her conversation and walked over to her family.

She knelt to receive the twins who run to hug her and kissed each of them on the forehead laughing when they insisted to be picked up. "You're now too big for me to carry you anymore," She said with a smile. "I just have to quickly pick up my things from my office. You can go ask Sara if she still has some cookies left over in the break room"

Aubreyanne watched the kids run off before turning to Zaria with a smile and gently kissing her. "I missed you," She said with a sigh.

Zaria chuckled and leaned into her side. "I saw you this morning," She said leading Aubrey to her office where all her things were scattered around. Once they got there Aubrey shut the door behind them and wrapped her arms around Zaria burying her face in her shoulder.

She couldn't imagine her life without her wife and now that they had kids it all felt surreal. She wondered where they'd both be if she hadn't hired Zaria or if they just hadn't gotten to know each other at all.

When Zaria left for Senegal she wasn't sure what would become of them. If they'd be able to connect as they did after being apart for so long. Sometimes she worried Zaria would find someone else or worse, they'd lose touch and never see each other again.

Thankfully none of those things came to pass and they kept in contact but didn't make anything official until Aubrey showed up at Zaria's graduation.

She did earn herself a scolding for missing an important meeting to be there, but Zaria couldn't have been any happier. They moved back a few weeks later and Zaria eventually got a job as a social worker where she helped loads of kids out, and on weekends spent her time helping out at a women's center.

"What's on your mind?" Zaria asked softly as she run her hands through Aubrey's hair. It was a habit she did subconsciously and Aubrey didn't mind in the slightest.

"Just thinking about how far we've come and how proud I am of you," She said looking up at Zaria. "I love you"

Zaria leaned down, landing a quick kiss on her lips. "I love you so much," She said as she pulled away and began packing up her papers. "I told Sara not to give them more than two cookies, but we should go get the twins before they giver her puppy eyes again" 

"Let's have another kid"

Zaria snapped around so fast she almost lost balance and looked down at Aubrey, trying to decipher if it was a joke but there was no hint of it on her face. "You want more kids?" She asked leaning against the desk for stability.

Aubreyanne nodded. "Yea...I mean I've been thinking about it for a while and I love Abby and Gabe and they make me so happy. I just thought I want to build a bigger family with you. More to love"

Zaria felt super dizzy but nodded with a smile on her face. "Let's do it"

"Really?"

"of course," Zaria said taking a step forward and pulling both Aubrey's hands in hers. "First of all, you're carrying them this time. I'm not sure I want to risk another set of twins"

"Agreed. I don't mind we did agree on it" Aubreyanne smiled as she pulled her wife closer, giddy with excitement. "We should use the same sperm donor too, but not right now"

"Obviously not now. Let's plan for it in about a year maybe," Zaria agreed. "we'd have to make a lot of financial adjustments for their school and groceries and everything, there's a lot of paperwork too, and all the baby shopping. I think we'd also need-"

If there was one thing Aubrey had learned it was how to shut up her wife's rants when she got in over her head. She gladly kissed Zaria just enough to feel her smile into the kiss.

"We'll stress about details later," She said pulling away. "But no takebacks. You already agreed"

Zaria pressed her forehead to Aubrey's. "I would never" She quickly kissed her wife and grabbed her bag. "Let's get the kids and head home now"

Aubrey let Zaria pull her along as they walked down to the break room where Abby and Gabe were in fact giving Sara puppy eyes for more cookies. Zaria chuckled and called them over as they bid the women goodbye.

Aubreyanne never deemed herself capable of giving on receiving love, but Zaria came along and proved her so wrong. She loves Zaria, she loves Abigael, and she loves Gabriel. Zaria gave her a family that mended the side of her that was broken, in her eyes her wife was an angel who she has nothing but pure love and admiration for.

For Zaria, when she fell for Aubrey she found the missing piece of her puzzle. The piece she had tried to force herself to believe Tobias fit, but it was still hard. It came with all sorts of emotions and feelings and experiences. She's been angry, jealous, sad, hopeful, and happy.

Aubrey wasn't a monster. She wasn't cold or heartless. She wasn't demanding or bossy nor was she in-human. And just as Zaria had said in her wedding vows.

"Aubrey, you're not imperfect in any way. You give out pieces of yourself to people and let them judge you based on what little they know, but I've seen the whole picture. I know you and I know you're perfect just as you are"

Aubrey had never cried so hard solely because of happy tears and her heart swelled as he pulled Zaria close. Between her sobs, she was glad she had gone first but she mumbled.

"I love you Zaira. I love you more than anything and everything and I always will"

Love is a beautiful thing indeed, but it never just comes simply. First, it's confusing and frustrating but once you figure it out it's one of the most beautiful things human beings are capable of.