♡ Chapter 2 ♡

"If anyone needs anything I'll be in my office" Aubreyanne announced as the meeting came to an end, she got up from her seat at the head of the table and began heading for the door with Andrew behind her. "Antonio, get those documents on my desk by Friday" She called over her shoulder, and the man in question quickly nodded. 

Once she had left the room everyone seemed to let out a breath, even Zaria as the atmosphere dissolved making it easier to breathe. 

"Well you survived your first board meeting," Colin said as he turned to Zaria with a smile. "And you made good points. Most people don't even speak during the first meeting"

"Thanks, but I just barely pulled by" Zaria sighed, as she got up along with everyone else and prepared to head back to their offices. Even though everyone looked at her when she spoke to pitch in and contribute ideas, all she could remember were Aubreyanne's dark eyes that seemed to bore a hole into her and litter her body with goosebumps. 

She and Colin made light conversation, seeing they would be working together since he was her deputy. "Well you have to approve them first before they can be sent to Miss Kaine so I suggest-" Colin was cut off when Andrew came up to them, pulling their attention to him. 

"Sorry to interrupt." He said to Colin before turning to Zaria. "But the boss would like to see you" Zaria immediately felt her stomach drop and churn and all she could manage was a dry nod. 

Colin reassured her that he'd begin working, as she followed Andrew down the hall trying to convince herself that it was alright. He lead her down the hall and to the very end and opened the plain brown door. 

There was a small room, and a desk she believed was Andrews, then another door, but it had Aubreyanne's name engraved on it in gold letters. Andrew sat at his desk and have her an encouraging look as she walked up to the door.

Zaira took a deep breath and then knocked and stood back until she heard a muffled. "Come in" 

Aubreyannes's office walls were plain white, and the room consisted of a couch and covetable on a small rug in the corner. The entire back wall was covered by bookshelves that were filled, and a file cabinet beside the huge glass window. In the center was Aubrey's desk which was littered with neatly stacked papers and her computer. There were two chairs in front of the desk, and another small rug beneath them.

"Miss Regan" Aubreyanne spoke, sending a shiver down Zaria's back and ending her observations of the office easily. "I never got a chance to personally welcome you to the team. I do apologize if I frightened you this morning" She said leaning back in her seat, and crossing her arms over her chest. 

"No not at all" Zaira mumbled. "Thank you for allowing me to work here" She shuffled awkwardly on her feet, not sure what to do with herself. She knew that wasn't all Aubreyannne had to say otherwise she couldn't have been called in. 

"Right. Well, unfortunately, I didn't bring you here fr a welcome basket" She said motioning to the seat in front of her desk which Zaira gladly took.  "To be frank. I like the ideas you brought to the table and I'd like you just elaborate on most of them. Starting with partnering with a bank investment manager for the finance department" 

"Oh well," Zaria fumbled over her words, having been caught off guard about why she was here. Aubreyanne's gaze pierced through her reminding her who she was sitting in front. "When Andy was giving out the statistics of the budgets for each sector I realized that..."  

As Zaira got more comfortable with expressing herself and her Idea she began to get less intimidated by Aubreyanne's scary gaze, which she just realized had morphed into one of concentration and curiosity as she attentively listened to every word Zaira said.

"I don't hate the Idea, although since implying it may bring discourse among our partners and investors I'll have to discuss it over with them first," Aubreyanne said sounding calmer, but her face remained expressionless. "Although if we do decide to go ahead with it. I might put the project under your supervision...depending on how your time here goes"

Zaria nodded, not sure if she should leave now, she didn't feel as intimidated by the woman as she did moments prior. It was already evident that Aubreyanne wasn't a heartless monster. She was expressionless sure, but not emotionless. All those articles online and rumors just sparked extra fear of her because she was....serious. that was the best Zaira describes it as now.

"Regan" Aubreyanne called bringing the woman's attention back to her. "You may get back to work, but I just have one more inquiry," She said looking over her intertwined fingers with her dull eyes, Zaira swallowed the lump in her through and nodded. For the first time, Zaira could see the emotion on Aubreyanne's face. Although it disagreed as quick as t came, Zaira would have sworn the woman seemed hesitant, nervous if she dare say. "Why don't you seem to be...affected by me?" 

Zaira tilted her head questioningly. "What do you mean by that?" She asked softly. Was Aubreyanne really used to negative reactions from her first-time employees that she was actually taken aback by Zaria not quacking in her boots, or being cold to her?

Aubreyanne seemed to knock some sense into herself and shook her head dismissively. "nothing. I shouldn't hold you from work any longer" She said waving her hand dismissively. "if you need anything Andrew is always there to offer assistance" 

Zaira nodded and thanked her once more, although she was hesitant and wonder if she had just answered Aubreyanne's question would their meeting have gone differently. As she passed Andrew at his desk he has her a nod as if to say. See it wasn't that bad

Zaria only have a small smile as she walked out and back to her cubical that was next to Colins who was already hard at work. 

Andrew watched her leave before picking up some documents and going into Aubreyanne's office. He shut the door behind him before sighing. "You seem to have taken an interest in her over all the new people," He said setting the file down. 

Aubrreyanne glanced at him for a moment before she went back to typing away on her computer. "I don't know. She just piques my interest" Aubreyanne paused for a moment. "her view on things is certainly unique. this place needs something fresh...some change"

"And let me guess," Andrew said leaning on the desk. "You think she'll provide that change?" He asked raising an eyebrow confused. 

"I hope so," Aubreyanne said letting her gaze trail to the door as if she could see Zaria through it. "You noticed it too, at the meeting," She said turning in her chair. 

"Everyone practically froze. I'm sure she's the talk of the office" Andrew grimaced as he began sorting through the files. 

Aubreyanne hummed as she watched him. "She's the first person to go against my Idea and actually back her point up confidently." She said swirling in her seat. "She was still wrong in some aspects but I admire her for not being a suck-up" 

Andrew chuckled slightly as he watched her expression. "Just don't scare away the poor woman," he said. 

A small smile grew on Anyreanne's face as she went back to work. "She doesn't strike me as the type to simply be scared away"