9

ɪ ʜᴀᴅ ʟᴏɢɪᴄ ᴅᴇꜰʏɪɴɢ ᴘᴏᴡᴇʀꜱ ᴀɴᴅ ɪ ʜᴀᴅ ɴᴏ ɪᴅᴇᴀ

 "This doesn't look too bad, I think." You inspected your now bandaged palm. The wound wasn't deep enough to require stitches, but it was going to be a sore spot for some time. Despite that, with Diluc's quick handiwork on it, you were sure that it won't pose any hindrance other than mild discomfort.

His work on your hand had been precise. Practiced and tested through time, most likely. You had taken your time in observing him as he operated on your hand, and wondered how many times he's had to treat himself with bloodied hands to gain such mastery. How many times did he bleed in the dark when things went sideways?

The thoughts spiral and shift, making the man beside you seem so much younger. The light in his eyes still shone like a beacon amidst the darkness, despite all the hardships that he faced.

You know he wasn't always like this... Diluc was brighter; he is bright still, but the rays don't quite reach the edges nor are they as welcoming or warm. It's bright, and it's scorching, stare too long or tread too near and they burn. A coy to keep others apart or just general apathy towards the ordinary? A facade to make the world see past whatever lies beneath? Or perhaps something else entirely.

"Is your head alright?" his voice even if not a tinge bit softer.

"Yes... I didn't hit it, thankfully... It's just my hand," the words come out more forceful than intended.

"Which now is also fine." You add on quickly, more to convince him than anything.

"So you can stop worrying now."

"I'm not so sure about that." his gaze still focused on your wound.

You fell and scraped yourself against a sharp rock. That's what caused the injury. And even though it was on you (because walking without seeing had its consequences), diluc can't help but feel as if he could have prevented this harm from befalling you. The thought is irrational; he knows. You were fine... mostly anyway.

But even so, you not paying attention and falling down was understandable. It made sense. What makes little sense followed right after it.

That Rifthound, it was right in front; it saw you; it touched you, and yet... Here you were, without as much as a scratch.... except the one of your own makings. The creature clearly had its eyes on you. It acknowledged you, and then, with its curiosity satisfied, left you be.

Not that he isn't grateful that you are unharmed. Diluc would never wish any harm on you, but this strange docility, this almost domestic behavior that an abyssal creature displayed towards you. It was turning all sorts of gears in his head, all moving towards a not-so-positive and dangerous possibility.

The line of thoughts isn't exactly... pleasant. So saying.

But you couldn't possibly be affiliated with the abyss, not when you were so...