Chapter 16 - Day 2 Part 3

Percy cradled Annabeth in his arms. The daughter of Athena was weak from the bloodbath in the cornucopia. Percy feared that he wouldn't be able to save her, that she would die before his own eyes. 

He knew he could never let that happen. His life would fall apart beneath his feet, he would have no will to live anymore, he would have nothing to live for. 

Through so many years, Annabeth had been his constant companion, friend, and more recently, girlfriend. Even a week without her was unimaginable. "Annabeth?" Percy whispered, testing to see if she was awake.

The daughter of Athena stirred, and her eyes suddenly shot open. She reached to grab her dagger, but immediately brought it back after feeling an overwhelming amount of pain. "Percy?" Annabeth's voice was weakened and faint. 

"I'm right here," Percy assured her, smiling slightly. Annabeth had been sleeping for hours, Percy thought she'd never wake up. 

"I need to take off the bandage," Annabeth gestured to the bayonet around her arm.

Percy shook his head. "It just stopped bleeding half an hour ago. You don't want to see that right now, trust me."

Annabeth grunted. "If I don't see it now I won't know how bad it is," she persisted.

Instead of arguing, Percy helped her lie down again in the cave. Her back rested against a rock, propping her body up. "No, you need rest."

"Perce..." Annabeth's faded as her eyelids dropped over her eyes. Sleep came over her in a matter of seconds. 

From outside the cave, Percy heard a loud, screeching noise. He glanced back at Annabeth and gauged whether it was safe for him to leave for a few seconds. Letting his own curiosity take over, Percy rose from his dirt seat on the ground and tip-toed to the mouth of the cave.

The next series of events happened so quickly, Percy couldn't even realize what was going on before it was too late. 

Thalia stood over Percy's limp body, holding a spear in one hand, high above her head. Her breathing came out on sharp exhales and her eyes filled with tears. "I'm sorry, Percy," Thalia Grace whispered. But without another glance back, the daughter of Zeus ran into the scorching hot sun.

--

Aelia slumped over in the sand, trying to stop the flow of blood from continuing. Although the pain bit into her, she couldn't get her mind off of the son of Vulcan that died, Damien Flannegan.

She realized that she could have saved him, she was one lunge and dive forward from saving his life. Earlier that year, Damien had in fact saved her from a monster attack, though he didn't know who she was. Aelia felt indebted, but with the son of Vulcan dead, she had no way to repay him.

The guilt overcame her all at once, numbing her from the pain. Tears trailed down her cheeks, the last of the water in her falling to the sand. Her throat dried from the consistant heat. 

Aelia was done, done with living. She lost her will to stay alive. She wanted nothing more to die, especially after the son of Athena had distantly attacked her. Aelia had made the decision to trust him, but that one act felt like a betrayal to her. 

As the sun grew hotter, Aelia's heart beat grew slower and slower. Her vision began to fade, but before her she saw a shadow, a dark, indistinguishable outline of a person. 

Then everything went black.

--

Jason Grace groaned upon waking up from a forced slumber. All he could feel was an intense pain coursing through his temple. The pain was so insistant he could barely feel the burn of the cornucopia on his bare skin.