Chapter 35 - Oblivion (Day 9)

A/N: Weekly updates are a go! Please remember to vote and comment :)

--

Reyna unraveled her fists, letting her fingers extend. Her straightened back and hard expression remained, but her feet still ached.

"If you leave now, I won't send you to tartarus," she threatened, stepping towards the first challenge the Gods had conjured for her. 

A deep yellow, beady eye stared back at her blankly. "Puny demigod!" he bellowed. "I will destroy you! I am Virgil, son of Poseidon and Clio!" 

"Virgil is a Roman name, yet you are of Greek distinction," Reyna thought out loud, whilst formulating a plan. Though she was surrounded by plenty of trees, it could easily be her ending up underneath one. "He was the epic poet who had coined the sequel to the Odyssey."

"Epic poets? I WILL DESTROY THEM!" Virgil bellowed, beating his hairy chest with his oversized hands. 

Reyna cringed; her ears had started to ring. "Lovely," she murmured. Unprepared and completely out of her mind, she began to take steps backwards. "Tell me, what else have you destroyed?"

The cyclops took a moment to think, distraught by the question. "I WILL DESTROY OLYMPUS AS WELL!" he shouted, unable to conjure a proper response. 

"Well, that appears to be quite difficult," Reyna commented, her confidence growing as she circled Virgil. 

He scratched his thick head for a moment, and then reached down towards his crotch to pull down his loin cloth. Reyna nearly threw up after having seen too much. "NOTHING IS DIFFICULT FOR VIRGIL!"

Naturally, the Gods would send the most dimwitted creature in existence. They never seemed to be able to comprehend her true abilities, but Reyna supposed it was appropriate to showcase her abilities in some form. 

"Virgil," she began cordially, "would you mind if I were to scale this pine tree? I would prefer to see, eye to eye with you." 

Virgil the beyond unintelligent cyclops's mouth hung open to reveal teeth that did not receive proper orthodontics. "Uhhhh, I guess."

Reyna brushed past the pine needles and dug her heels into the trunk. It resulted in quite a bit of needles stuck in her flesh, but she successfully had managed to climb to (what she had calculated to be) the highest branch that could support her weight. The tree, however, seemed to lean unevenly to one side, lacking something to even out the imbalance. "This is much better," Reyna sighed, wiping dirt-ridden sweat from her forehead. In the process, also knocked down several disgusting insects from her clothing. "Don't you think Virgil?"

Virgil smiled an awfully toofy grin as he peered up at the daughter of Bellona. "Demigods are nice to me now," he announced. 

Forcing a smile onto her tight lips, Reyna said, "Cyclops are nice too me now, too. Virgil, I'm quite sorry for what I have to do to you next." 

As soon as Reyna finished her sentence, she threw her body off of her the branch in only a few seconds. Her palms burned as they clung onto the bark. Her plan had worked: the cyclops received a direct hit from the very top of the pine tree, resulting in a disgruntled, "OOF!"

The entire time, she kept hold on the tree. Reyna lifted herself up as she would on a pullup bar, and then applied enough pressure to break the branch off at a sharp point. With less than a second of calculation, she positioned herself in mid-fall to land on Virgil's meaty shoulder. 

Virgil, of course, didn't catch a glimpse of her due to several pine needles lodging themselves in his eye. Somehow, Reyna managed to grab some of Virgil's chest hairs. They aided her significantly in landing safely. She embarked up his chest with the tree branch still in hand, avoiding his swatting hands with ease. At last, she laid flat on her stomach, just barely balancing on the shoulder.