Chapter 19 - Day 3 (The Challenge Reactions)

Percy woke up, surprised to find himself inside the cave once again. Every inch of his body erupted in endless pain, he could barely get to his feet. 

He was relieved to see Annabeth breathing steadily besides him, in a seemingly peaceful sleep. 

Of course, the peace couldn't last very long. A high pitched screech erupted from the sky above. "Annabeth?" Percy tried to be quiet. Drawing attention to himself and Annabeth could be death for both of them. "Annabeth?" When she didn't wake, Percy resorted to shaking her out of her slumber.

Annabeth's eyes shot open, then darted angrily over to Percy. "YOU SEA-"

Percy interrupted her by pressing a finger to her lips. "Listen," he whispered to her, glancing outside of the cave every few seconds.

Annabeth unsheathed her knife. "I'm gonna go find out what it is first. You can't go, especially after what Thalia did to you."

"What did Thalia do to me?" Percy asked, caught slightly off guard. "I couldn't imagine she did anything..."

"When you went to go check outside of the cave she knocked you out. Hit you up with some lightning. If it was me, I'd probably be dead," Annabeth explained, trying to get to her feet.

Percy pulled her back down. "I'm better. You took care of me!" he insisted, grabbing his trident. 

"We either both go out or just me, deal?"Annabeth bargained, raising her blond eyebrows.

Percy nodded slowly. "Together."

They lasped their hands together and tiptoed out of the damp cave. "What could it have been?" Annabeth asked. "You think it could be Thalia again?"

"Are you absolutely sure that it was Thalia?" Percy found himself getting easily distracted by what she had said earlier.

"Who else would have zapped you?" Annabeth retorted sarcastically. "Jason is too busy obsessing over Piper, so that crosses him off the list." 

Percy sighed. "I just can't imagine her doing that."

"Neither can I," Annabeth agreed, biting her lip. Her gaze travelled upwards, while Percy's remained at ground level. "Oh my Gods, Percy. Look up!" Annabeth exclaimed, a gasp leaving her lips. 

"But what if someone tries to kill us while I'm not looking?!" Percy refused to look. He felt obligated to protect Annabeth, and she felt the same. 

Annabeth jerked his arm forward and pointed. "It won't matter after you see this," she told him bluntly. 

Percy's eyes flickered upwards. He would've continued searching the area, but something caught his eyes. The source of the screech. "Oh dear Hades," he muttered, wanting to run back into the cave more than anything. "I think that one sees us," Percy told Annabeth nervously, pointing to a drakon that broke away from the group.

"It's coming right for us," Annabeth pulled back her blond hair, trying to see the beast clearer. 

Percy entwined his hand with Annabeth's. "We better run."

--

When Jason saw the drakons soaring across the skies, he knew he had to protect Piper. They were already breathing fire onto the desert, kicking up sand with each breath. Jason had never seen creatures so vicious. 

Piper and Leo were seemingly so far, but Jason knew he had to run. He had to save her before the flames took down the forest area. 

His throat burned with each stride he took. He was ready to pass out from lack of water, he was deathly dehydrated. 

He finally reached the tree fifteen minutes later. From the high branches, Jason heard voices talking. "Are you alright beauty queen?" Jason knew right away that it was Leo speaking.

Someone coughed faintly. "I guess," Jason recognized Piper's confident voice. 

"Why are you alliancing with me if you're so in love with Jason?" Leo asked. Jason slowed his breathing, straining to hear the rest of their conversation. "You think we're both gonna die?" Leo's tone was a bit protected, defensive. 

"Because he's the most powerful out of all of us. He's the one who can defeat Gaea, if anyone," Piper explained unconvincingly.

"That's not what I think," Leo mumbled, his shadow moving closer to hers on the tree. They were already sitting side by side, but he was even closer. "I think that you chose me for a reason."

"Leo-" Her sentence was cut off by Leo pressing his lips to hers. Piper didn't object, she full heartedly kissed him back. 

Jason's heart broke as he gazed upon the girl he was in love with and his former best friend. It took all his will power not to strike the tree with lightning, or to fly up there and beg for Piper's heart. 

Jason decided against telling them about the drakons. That was their own problem, not his. He flew off in the opposite direction as the drakons. 

"Do you think that fooled him?" Piper nearly fell out of the tree looking for him. She saw his old and worn shoes becoming more and more distant. "I personally think that we did. Well done, Leo."

Leo nodded, wiping at his lips. "I can't believe I kissed you, blech!"  Piper shoved him, making Leo fall out of the tree with an ooph. "REALLY BEAUTY QUEEN!?" He yelled back up. 

Piper erupted in laughter and fell back onto her back, but still remaining on the tree. "Leo!" she called out desperately. "I know why Jason was here!!" she exclaimed, her panic only rose with each passing second.

Leo looked up, past the tree. "Oh my Hephaestus, Drakons!"

--

A/N: GAH WHY DO I KEEP ON GETTING WRITER'S BLOCK. I apologize for making y'all wait so long for an update. I'd be frustrated too!

Thanks for the votes, I can't believe I'm getting this many :D

So... 11+ votes on this chapter for some epic drakon fighting in the next one? Please :)

Again, thank you all so much for the support!

-Em