Chapter 22 - Day 4 (Darkness and Light)

Maverick had been through a lot in the past few hours. 

He finally had killed his first tribute at last- and who else than the acclaimed and powerful Thalia Grace, daughter of Zeus. He couldn't have been happier.

Being a son of Athena, Maverick had always been a master at strategy, even at the young age of twelve.  

In addition to killing Thalia, he also injured the scrawny son of Hephaestus. But he didn't feel like it was too much of an accomplishment. 

In fact, he didn't feel too accomplished at all. Maverick could almost see Athena gazing down upon him with a look distaste. He hadn't done enough. Maverick knew he was chosen for a reason, but he still did not feel like he had proved himself. 

All of his life, he had done nothing but work hard in school. He always studied and never made time for friends. It was all work. But what was it all for? Every moment of his life had been building up to the Demigod Games. It was his only chance to prove himself, and by no means was he going to waste it.

He was also considered an extremely bright kid, being the most intelligent kid at each school he went to. That is, before he got attacked by the monsters and his true mother claimed him as her son. It still didn't feel like enough. 

Maverick rested against a tree trunk, not having a care in the world. He allowed his mind to wander as the sun began to rise. He wondered what he would have been like if he just had a normal life, not even a normal life, just the normal life of a demigod. 

Maverick probably wouldn't have killed anyone, much less a girl who could've been his friend. He wouldn't be blind siding the people who saved his life. He could've done so much with his life, the possibilities were endless.

He was beginning to find doubt in his actions, but he made it disappear with the thought of killing Annabeth. Annabeth was his Camp Counselor, leading the Athena cabin as the smartest kid in there, even at the age of twelve. She was her mother's pride and joy, something Maverick had always envied. 

It was in that moment that he set out to find Annabeth Chase. It was in that moment that Maverick decided his wildest dreams could possibly come true. 

--

Aelia sighed, feeling her body drain of energy with each step she took. Thankfully, she had managed to avoid all drakons that were sent to attack her and her fellow tributes. 

In her pursuit of safety, she came across a tribute passed out in the sand. His blond hair dipped into the stream, his mouth slightly ajar. "Oh my gods," she murmured, then leaned down to him. She could see his left arm was severely burned.

He groaned as Aelia reached out to touch his burns. She examined the blistering red arm and instantly knew that it was bad, considering it was third degree. Reaching into her bag and pulled out a couple of green leaves she had found in the forested area. She wet the leaves in the steam and carefully placed each leaf onto his burns. 

She had no idea why she was saving this boy, this boy who had killed so many other kids. Aelia knew in her heart that she couldn't sit by and watch another die without trying to help, well unless if it was too late. 

A human life, no matter how awful the person may be, is still a human life in Aelia's mind. 

South of Edward, Aelia heard the sound of a drakon screeching. She quickly double checked the leaves on Edwards arms, then ran off North. 

--

A/N: Sorry for the short chapter. The point of this chapter is meant to show the difference between a couple of the minor characters and it helped me clear my mind about the direction that I want this to go in. You guys are so in for it when I write the final chapters and reveal the winner (and what happens after). Like you guys will probably want to shoot me but whatever ;)

So it's not the best chapter, it's mainly explaining how Edward's life was saved and how Thalia's life ended. So at least you understand who did and their motives... so that's good!

I was thinking about preparing a schedule for updating, so if I were to do that, this story would definitely be on Friday! And I mean for reals-ys.

That being said, how about 20+ votes on this chapter for the next chapter on Friday? 

 All of you support is absolutely amazing, and I'm glad so many of you look forward to the next chapter every week. Your patience is amazing and very much appreciated as well!

Again, thanks for everything! :)

-Emilia