Chapter 26 - Among the Oldest Monsters (Day 5)

"Ah, Bacchus, it's a blessing to see you here," Jupiter greeted the God of Wine. 

Bacchus did a small bow. "It's a blessing to be here, Jupiter. How are the games going?"

Jupiter turned his attention back to the balcony as he watched Hestia trudge through the desert. A sick smile played on his face. "They've been going quite well. It's a shame your children are not participating in it."

"Alas, it is a shame," Bacchus replied, his eyes scanning over the arena. Nothing really sparked his interest. "But I have very few children left of age."

Jupiter nodded. "I understand, old friend. Would you mind getting me a glass of wine?"

"Of course, my Lord." Bacchus whisked his hand through the air and conjured a bottle of red wine and two glasses. He snapped his fingers, making the wine pour itself into each glass. "To the Games." They clinked their glasses. 

"Jupiter," Vulcan appeared behind the two Gods. 

Jupiter rolled his eyes, frustrated to be interrupted. "Yes, Vulcan?" he asked absently.

"Vulcan TV will be airing shortly. Do you have anything to say on air?"

Jupiter pondered the thought. "Actually, I believe I do." He turned to Bacchus and gestured to the balcony. "Bacchus, please keep an eye out while I am gone."

"Yes, my Lord," he replied, making his glass of wine vanish into thin air. 

As Jupiter turned his back, he saw Hestia gazing up towards the balcony. She knew it was there, no doubt. With a swift movement, she flicked Bacchus off, then ran with a girl trailing weakly behind her.

Bacchus chuckled quietly, acknowledging that she was lucky considering Jupiter hadn't seen her act of disrespect. 

--

Edward prepared to leap as he heard someone kick sand up, muttering curses. It seemed to be a girl, but with any luck, that girl would be Lara.

With an angry roar, Edward sent his axe flying at his victim. He prayed it would connect with something. 

Unfortunately for him, his prayers weren't answered. "WHAT THE HADES?!" An unfamilar voice shouted. 

Edward could only make out the shadow of the person, but he could tell it was a girl. Based on her height, he guessed she was around twelve years old. "Who the hell are you?" he spat, disgusted with himself for not even being able to hit has target.

"I'm Tia," she replied in a hard voice. "Who the hell are you?"

"You weren't in the reaping," Edward accused. "You're a monster, aren't you?" 

Since Edward had no idea where his axe went, he decided to strangle her if needed. "No," she girl said urgently. "I'm an enemy of Zeus! He threw me in here to get rid of me!" 

Edward threw himself forward, narrowly missing her neck. Somehow, the girl seemed to avoid all of his attacks. "What are you?" Edward found himself out of breath. 

"I'm here to help you all," Hestia responded gravely. "To get you all out alive."

"How are you going to do that? You're injured already, aren't you?" Edward could tell by the way she held herself that she was hurt. 

Hestia shook her head. "No-" she had to remind herself that she was more human-like. "Er, yes. But it isn't too bad. I just fell on some glass."

"There's no glass in the arena," Edward continued. "You're not like the rest of us."

"You're right, I'm not," Hestia agreed. "I'm older than most of you."

Edward raised his eyebrows skeptically. "How? You look like you're not even thirteen."

"I may look like I'm young, but I'm several centuries old."

"She's here to help us, lay off, Edward," Aelia finally managed to catch up to the Goddess. "Now get out of our way, we have some tributes to help."

"Why should I listen to you?" Edward said maliciously. "Aelia?"

"Yes." Aelia found the courage to approach the violent son of Mars. Her hand went to his arm which  seemed to heal overnight. "When Lara hurt you, she left you to die. Why are you not dead?"

"No," Edward immediately denied it. "It-it was you? No..."

"I regret what I did," Aelia said sadly. "Now, goodbye Edward."

As Aelia and Hestia began to leave, Edward spoke up. "I could take you both in hand to hand combat if I needed to, but I won't"

"Why is that?" Aelia questioned. 

Edward cleared his throat. "Because you gave me a chance to get Lara back."

Aelia shook her head. "There has to be more to you than revenge, Edward. I hope you can get out of this violent, brutal state one day."

"I won't make it out alive," Edward admitted, more to himself than to anyone. "I'm not strong enough."

"If you stop killing people, maybe we can all make it out alive," Hestia cut in. "But now we have to leave. Please think about what we've said, son of Ares."

They took off, running towards the moon once more. 

Edward searched the sand for his axe. It seemed to have vanished into thin air. 

That was the least of his worries. With his back turned, Edward couldn't see the latest challenge the Gods had pit against him. 

A huge wave of water washed over the sand. Gallons and gallons of salt water everywhere. 

Scylla and Charybdis have arrived.

--

Percy rubbed his hands in anticipation. "I can feel something coming. It's something dark," Percy closed his eyes. "Water, it has to be water."

"How do you know?" Annabeth squinted, trying to use the moonlight to illuminate her vision. She saw absolutely nothing. "We're in the middle of a desert."

"I feel more powerful now," Percy cracked his neck. "Finally, some salt water."

"When will it be here?" Annabeth asked.

Percy shot her a knowing look. "In three, two one."

With perfect timing, the water engulfed Percy and Annabeth. By that time, Percy had already set up an air bubble for Annabeth and himself. "This is random," Annabeth commented. 

"There's a trick to this," Percy concluded. "There has to be."

"Scylla and Charybdis," Annabeth said nervously.

Percy didn't see their favorite monsters anywhere. "Where?"

Annabeth looked from left to right. "They're surrounding us."

Percy followed her gaze to the swirling wave pool that was getting closer and closer to a lizard-like monster with several heads. He swallowed the lump in his throat. "Oh, there."

--

A/N: I'M SO SORRY I DIDN'T UPDATE SOONER I REALLY HOPE YOU WILL ALL FORGIVE ME I'M SO SORRY

So PART TWO IS TO COME IN TWO DAYS IF AND WHEN I GET 21+ VOTES ON THIS CHAPTER WITHIN THIS TIME FRAME. YOU BETTER DO IT OTHERWISE I'LL MAKE EXCUSES NOT TO UPDATE.

lol I love you guys c: Don't forget it!

Thanks for everything!

-Em