Chapter 27 - A Grave Mistake (Day 5)

Piper tried her best to prop Leo up above the water. With his recent injury, it was nearly impossible for him to swim. All he could do is float.

"How are you feeling?" Piper asked breathlessly. Her legs frantically kicked at the sea water as she tried to keep Leo from drowning.

Leo let out a groan. "My arm is stinging," he complained. With a great amount of effort, Leo finally managed to put himself afloat. His brunette curls were completely submerged in water despite his attempts. "You need to leave me," he told Piper urgently.

Piper shook her head. "No," she insisted. "I can't leave you, Leo. I just can't."

"You have Jason to look forward to. Don't die for me, Pipes," Leo said sadly. "Please, just go."

"I can't leave you," Piper continued. "There is no way I can leave you like this."

Leo felt himself fading. Every time he blinked, he'd want to keep his eyes shut a little longer. He wanted to allow himself to just let go and accept the truth: Leo was a dead man. "That kiss..." Leo began. His voice was faint. "Was it..."

"Real? Yes, I don't regret it," Piper admitted, smiling at the son of Hephaestus. "If Hera had never interfered with our lives, I think we could've been together at some point."

"You think so?" Leo asked, his will to live resurrected. 

The daughter of Aphrodite nodded. "Of course. You're a great guy, Leo. You just haven't found your girl yet."

Leo found himself disappointed. He was basically being friend-zoned. "I just haven't found my girl yet," he echoed. 

"You will, take it from the daughter of love," Piper assured him. She wondered how much longer she could keep a hopeful conversation to keep Leo alive. 

"Huh," Leo was dumbfound. "Why would anyone want to date a scrawny son of Hephaestus?"

Piper didn't even hesitate. "Because you can fix anything. You have a questionable quality humor. You're not entirely scrawny, but I assure you that you are. But what I think will really get someone to love you is your passion. You're passionate about your work, your friends," she paused for a second, "and your family."

"You mean that?" Leo grinned. "And what do you mean questionable humor? I'm hilarious."

Piper let out an uneasy laugh. "Keep telling yourself that."

"But thanks, beauty queen. It means a lot," Leo thanked her. "Jason is a lucky man."

"He is," Piper put herself afloat as well, completely oblivious to any possible attackers. "He really is."

Leo shut his eyes, preparing to just let go. "I hope he knows that."

All of a sudden, Piper began thrashing in the water. "Something is pulling at my foot!" Piper exclaimed before being dragged down. Bubbles of air popped on the surface as Piper delved deeper into the sea.

"Piper!" Leo shouted, his eyes shot open. He wished he could've flipped over and take her to safety. Unfortunately, Leo didn't have the sort of energy at the time. He was weak and on his deathbed already. 

Something flew around in circles above Leo, presumably another drakon. Before the creature hit the water, Leo discovered who it truly was.

A flurry of blond hair whizzed past him. 

Jason.

--

"Hold onto me!" Hestia shouted to Aelia.

The daughter of Apollo easily swam. "I'm going to be all right. Don't worry about me."

Hestia muttered ancient Greek swears under her breath. "There are monsters accompanied with the ocean just as monsters accompany land as well."