Chapter 37 - Magic (Day 10)

"The number of tributes are growing thin," Diana (otherwise known as Artemis) commented, releasing a woeful sigh. Following her previous conversation with Jupiter, her spirit weakened with each passing day. Ten days of brutality and endless trauma almost ruined her. 

Hestia nodded tensely, recalling the very same discussion. In an ever-changing world of possibilities, the two goddesses felt as is there was nothing to do, but to watch and wait for the games to be over. "It's only a matter of time until Jupiter calls for more tributes. My dear brother may feel as if this is being unsuccessful."

"So many children dead, yet that is not why this is a failure," Diana stated in disgust. 

The Goddess of the Hearth wrapped her hands tightly around the arm-rests of her throne. Just below her feet, she could already sense the trembles of the arena. Her eyes seemed to grow heavier, as well as her heart. "Something is not right," Hestia observed. 

"You're changing." Diana looked with scrutiny at the other goddess. "Neither of us is young at the moment." 

Hestia knew that was only a matter of time, but despised the very thought of it. "I've never enjoyed these changes between our hearths," she remarked, running her eyes over her hardened skin. 

"Vesta had never seemed fitting for you, but it's only appropriate at the time being. You're not the same as you were." 

"Neither are you, Diana," Vesta retorted evenly. 

Diana ignored her comment. "I almost forgot, Jupiter decided on the next source of tributes." 

"At least," Vesta began, her voice falling short. After a moment, she said quietly, "we don't have children." 

--

Aelia dug the point of a lone arrow into the ground. Prior, she had found the muddy thing hidden away in the trees, lost from the original owner. Perhaps, Aelia thought to herself, that person is dead.

Leo rested across from her, the flames blocking her view of him. He seemed to be looking at the stars. "Is Superman still up there?" 

"Flying high," Aelia responded. "With Piper in his arms, of course." She paused for a moment. "They're supposed to be looking for Annabeth and Percy." 

The Latino boy smiled weakly. "That's how he became Superman," he explained. "Piper almost...kind of got knocked off of the Grand Canyon. It's a great way to find out you're a demigod. For all three of us." 

"My half-brother lost his right leg to  Lamia," Aelia told him, her voice nearly trembling. "He was fourteen." 

Leo shuddered at the thought of Lamia, who was known for eating children despite her attractive exterior. He should've mourned the way any normal person would, but he felt barely anything. "I'm sorry that happened," he said quietly before shifting himself to rest on Aelia's side. 

She didn't reply; Aelia stabbed the ground with even more might, soft grunts escaping her throat. Leo, for once, had nothing left to say. There was no joke for him to crack, nor smile to evoke. 

Aelia finished creating a small divot in the dirt, and threw the stick aside. "You're acting peculiarly," she commented. "I hope my horrendous past didn't make you upset."

"It didn't," Leo admitted, suddenly deciding that sitting upright was too much for him. On his back, he gazed into the endless sky once more. "Can't help but see everyone's faces up there. There and gone in seconds." 

"There's no use in grieving over them," Aelia asserted. Upon going into the games, Aelia had believed much differently. Wide-eyed and desperate, she clung onto everything that came her way, whether it was Hestia or Leo and prayed for all to be right. In the end it was heart took the toll of depression.