Chapter 9 - Training Scores

Hazel Levesque took a deep breath before entering the black training area to be judged by the Gods. There her skills would be ridiculed and she would be ranked among the other demigods among who is the most likely to come out victorious, and who will most likely die.

A couple of wind spirits flew in and pushed the doors open for Hazel. In front of her sat two tables of weapons and scattered targets everywhere. A panel of judges, otherwise known as the Gods were aligned behind a glass panel, presumably to not be overheard by anyone unless if they needed to. 

Unsure of what else to do, Hazel took a long, sharp dagger in her right hand and weighed it. It felt much heavier than what she was used to. She flung it at one of the targets, and ultimately ended up missing it by a few feet.  After that one mishap, the Hazel lost the Gods' attentions as they began to chat with each other, practically ignoring Hazel's existence, with the exception of her father, Pluto. His black eyes bore into her skull, threatening her to do any worse. He looked like he was on the brink of parting the concrete ground and letting her fall down to his realm to live her afterlife in misery. 

But Hazel didn't care. Why would she? The whole thing was pointless and barbaric in her mind, yet at the same time she was thankful she had a chance to prove herself, and also thankful that her boyfriend, Frank hadn't been chosen by Mars. Hazel noticed that Mars' tributes were brutish and undeniably the favorites of the Games. 

Poking fun at her father, she limply picked up another knife and weakly threw it a couple of feet, only to have it clatter to the floor. As her father snarled at her from behind the panel, Hazel made puppy dog eyes at him and pouted her lips, making the other Gods and Goddesses erupt in laughter. She could see flames dancing in his eyes as Jupiter slapped his back with a chuckle. 

At that point, Hazel thought she went a little too far, for herself, and decided to really show what she was made of. Picking up a handful of knives, Hazel shot a mischievous grin to the Gods, then threw all of the knives at the target with full power. Each one of the hit the center of the board, then knocked it to the ground. 

Hazel decided that was enough and took a bow. Most of the Gods applauded her for her sense of humour, but Pluto remained furious. She did a military like salute to the Gods, then left without saying a single word to them.

--

Nico nervously tapped his fingers on the edge of the mahogany table while he waited alone for his sister, Hazel. 

The Gods wanted to measure their abilities in some sort of test where the tribute could display whatever talent or capability their hearts' pleased. Nico desperately wanted to show his father what he could do, that he could be just as good as his dead sister, Bianca was at defending herself and fighting off monsters. Every time Nico would visit Hades in the underworld, all his father would do was complain about how Nico wasn't fulfilling the good to the name of Hades. Right then in the arena was when Nico was going to show him that he was a worthy son.

Hazel chuckled lightly as she entered the nearly empty dining hall. "Hey Nico!" she strode past him. "Good luck!" she called over her shoulder, then left Nico alone again.

Nico's heart beat quickened, and he swore he could hear his heart beating faster and faster each second. "You can do this, Nico," he encouraged himself as he inched closer and closer to the wide set of black doors before the arena. "You can do this."

The doors swung open, thanks to two wind spirits swiftly pulling them open, then vanishing into thin air. The training area was shrunken down slightly. but two tables of assorted weapons remained along with red and blue medium height targets sitting in random corners. Slightly elevated sat two rows of 'gamemakers', if you will, otherwise known as the Gods and Goddesses of Mount Olympus. On the end was Nico's dad, glaring down at him, daring him to ruin his name. The other Gods sat around absently playing with their magic and powers. Zeus was conjuring miniature lightning bolts in the palm of his hand. 

They all looked down at Nico simultaneously and nodded, letting him know that he was acknowled, even it was only for a few seconds. The best weapon, but also the most exhausting weapon of Nico's was his ability to conjure skeletal soldiers from the underworld. He would have to that for last. 

Nico easily picked up a smaller sword as slashed a dummy hanging on the wall into pieces, making a mess with all of the fluff that was once inside of it. He needed more of a challenge than just dummies. Nico mouthed the word 'gorgons' to his father. Hades seemed to have gotten the message, because with a snap of a finger, he made a hell hound appear. It wasn't exactly was Nico had wanted, but it would still do. Although he had learned to like hell hounds, and even had one as a pet, he knew they were still highly dangerous and powerful beings. Without a second's hesitation, he lunged at the beast and slashed at his neck before it could swat him away with his paw or maybe even swallow him in a single gulp. 

Unfortunately, it didn't do Nico any good; it only seemed to make the hell hound angrier. It snarled and charaged at Nico, nearly biting him in half. Nico dived to the right, then used the brick wall to help he leap onto the hell hound's back. The hell hound ran around in circles, attempting to rip Nico off of its back, but Nico clung to the tuffs of its fur and made his way to its head. Once there on the beast's neck, he plunged his sword into the base of the neck and held tightly onto the fatty skin on its back. Before Nico knew it, the beast turned into ashes, making Nico fall several feet onto his butt with a loud thud.

The Gods weren't amused, they half heartedly applauded him. Hades looked angry and seriously pissed off. He sent off Nico with a simple gesture of the hand, like he could swat Nico away that easily. "But-" Nico began.

His father cut him off and jerked his thumb in the direction of the door. Sighing heavily, Nico shlumped his way over to the door, but he decided he couldn't leave without doing one thing. Looking back to the Gods to make sure he had their attention, Nico promptly flicked them off, then left without looking back. He didn't regret a single thing.

--

Vulcan (Hephaestus) TV Coverage of the Demigod Games - Training Scores Update

18 tributes. Only one may live.

May the Gods be ever in your favor.

Mercury/ Hermes: Welcome back to Vulcan TV, where you will receive full coverage on the 1st annual Demigod Games! I am your host, the beloved messenger God, Mercury! The Gods have finished tallying the training scores and they will be released very soon with guest host, Jupiter! Please tune in tomorrow for the training scores and predicted outcomes of each tribute.

This is Mercury signing off.

--

A/N: Hey guys! FINALS ARE OVER. AND OH MY LORDIE, I GOT AN A ON MY HONORS ENGLISH IN CLASS ESSAY. AAAH. I USUALLY GET C'S BUT I GOT AN A ON THE FINAL, THEREFORE, MY LIFE IS COMPLETE.

And you know who's adorable, that bitch Tyler Oakley. His like my life. Bitch, who owns the throne.

So I just got back from a party and I'm like super hyper. EEEE. CAUSE IT'S WINTER BREAKKK YAYYY!

2+ votes for on this chapter for a chapter tomorrow! (:

-Emily