Chapter 24 - A Godly Update (Day 4)

"If you do not expect the unexpected you will not find it, for it is not to be reached by search or trail."

Leo and Piper (Day 4)

Leo couldn't just let Piper sacrifice herself for him. But as he lunged forward to pull Piper away from the drakon, another figure appeared out of nowhere. 

He felt his heart stop in his place as the only thing worse than a drakon appeared in front of him. The drakon fell, dead in only a matter of seconds.

Piper and Leo stood with their mouths gaping open. There were small voices in the back of their heads telling them that they should be wondering about the cannon that went off, but all they could focus on was the brute of a boy in front of them.

"Edward," Piper whispered, fear evident in her trembling voice.

The son of Mars nodded with his eyebrows ceased. "If you can tell me where Lara is, I won't hurt you," he promised. 

Leo gripped his sword a bit too strongly. Honestly, he wished he could've had his magical belt. The Gods haven't even offered him such a thing yet. "How can we trust you?" he hissed.

Edward shrugged. "What do I have to lose?" he thought aloud. "I probably won't be able to take down both of you. It's my life on the line, not yours."

Piper released a long sigh, then dropped her knife. "Now we're even," she looked Edward boldly into his ocean-esque eyes. Before, all she saw was the malicious boy who killed innocent children at the beginning of the games. But as he stood before her and Leo, he looked as if he was remorseful, maybe. "Why do you want to know where Lara is?"

Edward's face transformed into a look of fury. "She tried to kill me," he explain, hate lining his tone.

"She tried to kill all of us," Leo groaned, exposing a long jagged cut on his leg. "I can barely walk now. Yet the Gods haven't sent me anything that could help."

"Then you can tell me where she is," Edward pressed, becoming more urgent.

Piper laced some charm speak into her words. "Edward, please calm down. You're starting to frighten me." Edward's shoulders relaxed only slightly. "That's better," Piper continued. "Look, we only saw her a few hours ago. She set off in that direction," Piper told him. She pointed to the direction that the sun was setting. "Please, promise me you'll get her. For Leo."

Edward grabbed his axe and began to walk towards the source of intolerable heat. He even grinned at Piper. "If I don't win, I hope that you do," he said. "But if it comes down to us, I'm going to defend myself."

Piper gulped and looked to Leo. He appeared to be conflicted as he gripped his knife tighter and tighter. Piper shook her head unnoticeable to Edward. Leo finally released the sharp knife and backed up a couple feet. "That's okay," Piper responded to the son of Mars. "But Jason is going to kill you if you even lay a hand on me."

"I'm not scared of him," Edward's voice was monotone. 

Piper could tell he was lying. "You should be," she replied smoothly. "I've got to help Leo get back to camp. Good luck, Ed."

"It's Edward," the boy barked coldly. "But maybe I'll get that boyfriend of yours." 

--

The Gods (Day 4)

Neptune and his brothers surrounded a ledge, watching their sons and daughters battling to the death. 

Pluto boredly watched, hiding his anger about the death of his children. "Are we going to send the medication yet?" he wondered aloud.