As It Was

2008

A loud moan left Daniel's lips before leaning back against the couch. Wiping the remaining white powder off his nose and sniffing, he looked around his surroundings. Broken glass on the floor, some unknown liquid next to it. The couch was stained and there was bottles of liquor and crumbs of chips. The coffee table before him had three fine lines of coke and a bottle of Scotch. It was a typical Friday afternoon.

There was no party. Well – not really. It was more like a small gathering that made a 5-person gathering to one of about 50. Still, he wouldn't consider it a party. Some brough food, others brought bottles of liquor and others some drugs that he enjoyed using the night before. It was fun. He got laid, drank, and got high. Well, that is generally how most of his days are. After quitting from Landman and Zack, he was free to do whatever the hell he wanted. He did not have to defend millionaires against the common folk or covering up allegations. Daniel was just tired, tired of everything. This moment of tranquility is what he wants, for what he yearns for.

Unfortunately, it was disrupted by the sound of some loud knocking before the door was opened. Daniel does not remember leaving the door unlocked. Glancing back, he saw Tony strolling in with Happy by his heels. It was a good thing that all his guest had left about an hour ago.

What time was it?

Daniel checked his watch to see it was around 1pm. Nice, lunch time. The thought of some pizza came to mind, and his mouth watered at the thought. A nice pepperoni and bacon pizza with a thick crust and the cheese being warm.

"What are you doing here? Not that I do not love our meetings, I just...don't love them," Daniel sighed as he pushed himself up from the couch to get his phone from the bar. He stumbled a bit as he reached the bar and his brother watched Daniel with disappointment.

It has been more than a year that Daniel had began to do this. The accomplished, polite, well-mannered brother was long gone. Oh, the public loved to call him the crazier brother, Tony Stark 2.0, the party guy of Manhattan. So many nicknames in the matter of a year. After all, news of his accident was national news, given his name. Everywhere he looked, tabloids and whispers about him and the loss of his fiancée. It would have driven anyone mad. Tony understood Daniel's behavior, to a certain extent.

"You and me, Dan," Tony sighed as he walked towards the couch and saw the mess on the coffee table. Tony knew that partying could get out of hand at times. He isn't a stranger to it, but he considers himself to have some limits.

Daniel Michael Stark does not have any limits.

Taking a seat on the couch, he eyed the white lines on the coffee table. Daniel took notice of it. "Try some if you want. I don't mind sharing," Daniel smirked as he pocketed his phone before reaching into his jeans to get his packet of cigarettes. Putting one in his mouth, he lit it up while he let Tony talk.

"Yeah, no thanks. I rather be drunk than high. That shit is too much," Tony grimaced a bit as he leaned back in his seat and gave a good look at his brother. He looked disheveled – wrinkled, blue, button up with the first buttons undone, black slacks and his hair was all over the place. It was noticeable that he hadn't shaved in a few weeks, the beard wasn't well taken care off. Hints of silver were seen. The 28-year-old was a mess. At his age, he should be living and enjoying his life. Instead, he is letting it go to waste.

"I got you into rehab – the best there is – ranch and all that stuff to help you", Tony said as he watched his brother smoke calmly.

"No thanks, don't like animals"

Daniel puffed out smoke up to the ceiling. Happy watched from the corner of his room, just making sure that this meeting doesn't turn out violent. Last time they talked, fists were swinging. He can't have that happen again.