12: POLYESTER FIRES AND ACID RAINS

"Polyester fires, wooden burns and tarnished wounds..."

...

Burns aren't often a patch of deceased tissue, nor are a part of epithelium soaked deep in kerosene, they are much more than pains soothed by the non-steroidal inflammatory drugs, they are caseous blobs of soaring memento mori.

...

Once the duo left the kitchen, Ahyun grabbed the edge of the counter, trying to stabilise her wobbling legs. She was everywhere in her heart and mind, scattered and shuffled in the carcass of her soul.

She almost gave up on his touch, his little affection was all it took to break her own worth. Not only that, but she loved Jin, but she should not be so soft, no, not before she knows what happened yesternight. Even if it was in her mind, just in her eyes, she needed his consolation, she needed him to say how much she meant to him, a little love, that's all.

With the breakfast laden onto the tray, she led her way to the table, she was sure of talking to Seojin later in the morning once Reiko would have left for her college. Alone, they would have sorted out all the insecurities built up for days and maybe the happy home would look happy, again.

With her little steps into the hall, the little world of hers came crumbling down; Reiko had her arms tightly wrapped around her man's torso in a desperate attempt to never let go and Seojin had his right palm entangled in her locks as he muttered the poisonous vocables burning down her entirety like acid.

"Love you too, Rei..."

In the momentum of free fall, the feldspar tray hit the ground first, and then the plates with the glasses shattered soon after. The morning sunlight streamed through the window, casting long shards of broken porcelain across the kitchen floor. Two pairs of feet ran towards Ahyun as she fell over the messy wreckage.

They say, too many spilt flavours leave nasty aftermath on the palate, but the messed breakfast was better than the horror she had just come to see.

"Don't touch me!" she yelled, pushing away the caring arms that reached out to her. She backed away from her husband, her heart pounding with anger and betrayal. As she retreated, she unknowingly dragged her hand across the surface and the bits of shattered glass found a home across her palm.

"Hyunie your hands-"

"Keep your fake care to yourself! Cheater! You are nothing but a cheater!" she accused, her voice filled with pain and anger. In that moment, she felt the weight of all the insecurity and fears that had been building up inside her.

She pushed herself back a little more, and one of those kaolin shards pierced across her thin palm.

Insecurity and fears, misunderstandings and miscommunication, they were like fires to polyester relationships. Two people bound in love, tagging their soiled intimacy with a name, were often in a polyester bounded string. It would be shiny and beautiful, but often suffocating for the people tied with it, and fire was polyester's bosom friend.

And those polyesters that wrapped around the hearts, melt and stick upon the pericardium, over the time burning and bleaching, until they are tarnished.

Flabbergasted at the sudden distortion, Jin stepped closer to her, "Hyunie, what are you saying?" His eyes closely watched her wound, as the blood dripped down upon the floor, making a small pool.

Ahyun was a mess, her eyes, her face, even her heart. Deep red eyes with brimming tears that felt burning on her skin kept rolling down as she eyed the man she had always loved.