17: THE UNENDING SAGA

"Damp and dim and broken stars, fairy tales with blood and scars..."

...

There were ghosts everywhere—and nowhere. Spirits who survived death and entered another place are believed by cultures all across the world. Ghosts are, in reality, one of the most popularly believed anomalous occurrences.

It was widely recognised that Albert Einstein's First Law of Thermodynamics revealed the existence of ghosts: since energy cannot be generated or destroyed but can only change form, what happens to a body's energy after they die? Is it possible for something to resurface as a ghost?

The various descriptions throughout history say they are gaseous, limbless, floating white varmints; others prefer the feeling over anything in person; and many associate them with dark silhouettes of fear.

Science, however, doesn't really agree with all these. They don't really believe there's much after death or anything at all post-death.

...

The night was too dark, and nothing seemed like another normal night. It was the year 2004, and it was the 6th of June. The twins, Seojin and Sejin, were tucked into their beds, ready for a good night's sleep before school the next day. Their mother had given them a strict curfew of 10 o'clock: "No loitering after 10," she had said.

Seojin and Sejin were always an inseparable duo in the little city of Cambridge, the house of Harvard. Their father, Kim Jonghin, was a renowned Physicist and also being the first Korean to join the most famous Ivy League college of the time.

Abiding by the rules, Seojin was deep in sleep already. Seojin, the younger of the two, was already fast asleep. He was a sweet and obedient boy, but his dreams were full of ambition. Instead of following in his father's footsteps as a renowned physicist, Seojin aspired to be like George Clooney, the famous actor. He imagined himself donning the cape and cowl, becoming the next Batman. To him, the world of superheroes seemed far more exciting than scientific equations.

Sejin, on the other hand was always an enthusiast of science and inventions. He was always the curious one, fascinated by the wonders of the universe. His passion lay in science and invention. From a young age, he had been captivated by the mysteries of the night sky. Why were the stars so far away? Why did fireflies carry a glow on their backs?

Every little thing was beautiful and held some mystery to it. And he had to find them all.

Their mother sat on the living room couch, waiting restlessly for her husband's return. It was already past midnight, and the silence in the house was a stark contrast to the bustling energy that was pulsating through the corridors of Harvard University. The whole of Harvard was trying to prove the validity of "The Twin Paradox theory."

It had already been an absurdity that the thought experiment in a certain relative condition had garnered so much attention worldwide. When Sejin had once asked his father what it meant, all he said was, "If I kept you on earth and packed Jinnie in a rocket and made him take a trip around the universe, when he will come back after years, you will be old, older than him."

"Like Grandpa?" His innocence had racked that very explanation.

"Yes Sejinnie, like Grandpa and Jin will be young, like your grandson!" Sejin's eyes widened with fascination. The idea of time playing tricks and altering the very essence of one's existence captivated him. He couldn't help but wonder how it would feel to witness such a phenomenon firsthand.