28: A WEEK'S TIME

"You have dreamless sleep and wake up to spiders on your bed,
and deaths in your closet, rotting in a shoebox.

And you could never ask for help when it counted, anyway."

...

In the confined space of the empty chamber, Ahyun remained unfazed by the gentle taps on the sturdy oak doors. The interior design exuded a cozy atmosphere, featuring light and ashy furnishings, accompanied by off-white walls adorned with artwork from anonymous street artists.

To enhance the overall ambiance, a beautifully crafted oak desk, adorned with a half-full coffee mug and scattered papers, stood majestically at the far end of the room, in perfect harmony with the elegant double doors. Adding to this inviting setting, large windows generously welcomed in the sun's rays, accompanied by a dainty couch and a plush lounge chair.

She turned away from the window she had been staring out of and lifted the bridge of her nose even higher with her delicate silver eyeglasses. She replied, "Come in," taking her hands out of her denim pockets as she did so. She didn't feel furious, just a bit irritated that someone had to come in and that her lunch meeting with her fiancé had to be cancelled, despite the fact that she never made commitments during her afternoon hours. Rather, it was mostly empty and free.

"Hello, Ahyun."

The arrival of the stranger brought forth a voice that resonated sourly, leaving an indelible mark on her psyche. Her gaze instinctively fixated on the profound monotony of this newcomer, triggering a cascade of harrowing thoughts. Consumed by distress, she clenched her teeth and subtly curved her smile, purposely veiling the fear that had gripped her.

She counted. One. She could hear the steps coming closer. Two. Puffs of breath could be seen coming from his mouth. Three. He stopped right beside her. Four. She pulled the trigger of her rambling thoughts.

"What the heck are you doing in here?"

"Feisty, I see," the deplorable visitor had a sickly aura making Ahyun's insides churn.

"Cut the shit and tell me why are you here, Norton? As much as I remember, we have no unfinished business between us. None at all."

He merely smirked at the rattled comment, pretty sure how his next move could make her beg right at his feet, but that wasn't for this very moment. It could wait for a better opportunity. Yes, he had to be patient.

"Your mouth didn't take you far now, right princess? Remember the old time we spent at-"

"Shut up!"

The temporary hush unleashed an overflow of profound despair in an unexpectedly swift turn of events, leaving countless things unsaid. Ahyun couldn't help but tremble at the sound of her own voice, haunted by memories of the raw and painful experiences from the past. However, she did what was necessary for the sake of her career, didn't she? There was nothing inherently wrong with it. Besides, she had successfully suppressed those haunting moments, ensuring they wouldn't disrupt her present life.

"Oh, I would love to, Ahyun. I would love to shut up, but I have got you one proposal," Norton grinned at his own vocables." "Spend a night with me, or a day. Anything."

She felt the weight of his voice again, like those hits in boxing, each hit making her feet tremble in fear and disgust. The preliminary disgust dribbled down her spine, suffocating her core.