24: SATIETY

"But our soul was just a figment,
and through time meant only a day
there was only nothingness... A truth of paradox..."

...

Harrison's lab was bustling with noise. Bubbling beakers, whirring machinery, and the constant chattering of students filled the air. It was a chaotic symphony that had become the norm in the prestigious halls of Harvard's scientific dungeon.

His thoughts were capricious, and he was miserable. Every calculation somehow ended up being butchered and pulled wrong, and he was filled to the brim with frustration. But his curiosity had been piqued by something more pressing than simple failure: the feeling of despair felt all around him as it dawned on some part or another about how everyone should be doing business in this world, right?

"This can be worked out, Mr. Harrison. Sir Einstein had simply demonstrated how it was a consequence of special relativity and not any paradox as it is named!"

The head of science and research didn't look quite convinced by the argument Sejin had put to words. There was an enormous stack of papers Sejin had dumped right atop his table, each trying to prove only one single theory: The twin paradox.

"Listen, Kim. I have always looked out for you no matter whatever you have presented, and you know I won't ever disregard any of your projects without a valid reason bec-"

"Because I suck you!" His reply fell flat, curt, harsh, direct.

The whole idea of being happy was like one of the rarest dreams Sejin had ever seen, wound and weaved. He wasn't one of those in the crowd who would sit, do their good and wait for the clock to turn and karma to rain upon him; he would rather walk up, probe big and grave holes with a dagger, use his hands, cream his nails with blood and collar what he needed.

Easy.

"Stop being so loud!" Harrison quickly walked up to the door, trying to feel any alien presence behind the door. He pretty much loved his prestige, status, and what not.

Harvard was, and is, a big, humongous place. The shiny, rich, nerdy, and exciting dungeon of science and scientists. Mr. Phillip Harrison, Sejin's professor, his guide through his period of books and baboons, and even his little tart. To add the cherry on top, Harrison was Jonghin's old mate, friend, and philosopher. Sad. He was an old man with fancy wishes, and Sejin was looking for his dreams to seek the scent of reality. And he took the most charred way, the most bizarre way.

The younger could barely smirk. He knew how much Harrison had to lose, emotionally and physically, and that was his trump card. And he absolutely loved to toy with anybody he could, under his thumb and his power ruining anyone who could voice against him.

With a sly smile, Sejin leaned towards Harrison and whispered, "Professor, don't you remember? This is Harvard, the place where ideas are born, friendships flourish, and minds are set free. We are not just learners, but dreamers and creators. We thrive in the energy that fills this room."

Harrison's annoyance wavered for a moment as he considered Sejin's words.

"Listen, Harrison. I will drop the formalities like I do in bed. You get this approved. I need a specimen, a spaceship, and a team. I want to prove this, okay?"

"Goddamn it, Sejin! You do know how ridiculous you sound, don't you? That shit you are spitting right now is just an imaginary scenario which looks pretty on the sheets of printed Calibri!"

This wasn't the first time Harrison felt so agitated. Sejin had used him quiet many times, be it for his cockamamie promotion or the gold on his thesis. But this demand made no sense.