Chapter 35

Third person pov

Finding Denise is slowly beginning to seem like an impossible task. Every day that passes without so much as a glimpse leaves the trail just as cold as it was when they first realized he was gone, if not even more so. Kit is certain he'll resurface at some point, it's just a matter of when and where. Until then, Kit is content to search for him. He's not about to give up even if Denise can't talk, is hideous, and is kind of useless. If your dog went missing would you ever give up trying to find them?

He's not trying to de-humanize Denise by any means. It's just that... well, is Denise even a human to begin with? Tenya definitely doesn't think so, and Kit is inclined to side with him. And not just because he's hot and could crush Kit's head like a melon with his thighs. That doesn't mean Denise has any less worth than the rest of them. He's loved! Practically their child, he's so helpless on his own! Kit's determined to track him down.

Besides, breaking Rei out would've been far harder without his compliance and physique. Rei seems to agree if her eagerness to assist in the hunt is anything to go off of. Dabi's frothing at the mouth. He's tried no less than twelve times to convince her to simply not. It's fucking hilarious and Kit revels in it. Tenya's not here to stare at him disapprovingly and tell him to be amiable, so he's going to laugh his ass off to his heart's content. Smugly. 

Present Mic had agreed to keep an eye out. Mentioning Denise had mostly been a diversion to divert his attention from Kit's socks onto other things, but he'd still hoped something would come from it. Nothing so far. Yeah, it had only been a few days, but come on! Heroes were resourceful and... fuck, Kit didn't know. They walked around, they saw shit. Denise definitely qualified as 'shit' if you asked him. God, he was so nasty looking. How were there no photos of him on a Reddit forum yet? 

"I don't think he's in here." Dabi scowled, looking visibly disgusted as Kit nudged the rapidly-cooling body with his foot. Shoeless, again. He'd gotten some of those early 2000s, knee-high converse monstrosities in hopes they'd stay on. News flash: they did not stay on at all. They're gone and Kit has no fucking clue where they went. They were there and then they weren't. It's like the second he takes his focus off of them, they vanish. 

"Well of course not, dear." Rei said placatingly, as though she hadn't just encased half the building in a solid block of ice. The distant wail of police sirens reminded them that they should probably get going. Rei didn't appear worried, dyed brown hair braided intricately down her back. She looked like some sort of sherpa-clad, arctic, Xena warrior princess. Kit had no idea how she does it, honestly. Women will never cease to amaze him. "This is a child trafficking operation. Denise is certainly not a child."

"He might be. Not sure who would ever want to traffic him, he's so goddamn ugly, but I'm not here to discriminate." Kit nudged the body a little harder, eyeing it. Definitely dead. He deserved it. Kit had no idea how these people had gotten so many children out of China but he hoped they burned for it. The dozens of terrified eyes trained on them made rage burn low in his gut. "Can't say I regret it either way. Denise would've wanted this carnage."

Dabi gave him a look. Probably because Denise has the mental capacity of an electric kitchen mixer and only wants to eat household appliances and light fixtures most of the time. Kit just beamed brightly, not bothering to say another word on the matter. Their hunt for Denise had taken them nowhere fast. There was no word of him. It was as though he'd never existed! It's not like he wasn't recognizable. Someone, somewhere, must've seen him. He was too big and too grotesque in appearance to slip by without being gawked at.

If Tenya were here, he'd probably be having a conniption. Kit had already sworn Dabi to secrecy, threatening half-heartedly to fire him if he dared spill the details of their little escapades. Sure, Kit hadn't outwardly promised not to get into trouble, but he had implied he wouldn't! Tenya's dream was to be a hero and Kit would be damned if he distracted him from it. Poor boy was too chivalrous for his own good. He'd likely keel over if anymore news of Kit's illegal activities reached him whilst he was in class, unable to do anything about it aside from stew in perpetual agony.