Chapter 20

Third person pov

The hulking creature had a frame similar to All Might's, with broad shoulders and bulging muscles for days. Only his skin was black, and his brain, exposed. Not only that, but his eyes were... in his brain. Just sitting there right on it. It was extremely disturbing when you really looked at it. Izuku and Kit stood on one side of the room by the door, staring wearily at the creature lingering before Izuku's bed. Trying to sneak it into Kit's would've been futile. Inko wasn't home at the moment-- a prime time to drag whatever this thing was in. Meanwhile, Mitsuki and Masaru both downstairs at the Bakugo household, one making dinner, and the other watching the news. They couldn't risk it.

"....Do you think it's dangerous?" Izuku knew it was a dumb question as soon as he asked it. He winced immediately after the words slipped past his lips. Kit glanced at him briefly before returning his eyes to whatever this thing was. In place of its mouth and nose seemed to be a beak, only it wasn't one at the same time. There were teeth in there. It was terrifying. Where did this beast come from? Why was it hurt in an alley? It had allowed Kit to stitch it up, but not without accidentally chucking Izuku's lamp into a wall and putting a hole in the floor in the process. Izuku really wasn't sure how he was going to deal with that one, but Kit promised he'd handle it.

"I don't know. And I think 'it's' a 'he', but I'm also not about to check." Kit said, still standing slightly in front of Izuku. If anyone was getting out of this mistake, it would be the freckled boy. "Hey, you. Beak boy. Are you going to kill us?"

The creature stared. They stared back.

"Should... Should we take that as a maybe?" Izuku whispered. He didn't know how he felt about this. Kit had come out of the alley, not with some bite wound from a rabid dog, but instead with some mutated... serious, what was this thing? It looked like a black bean had a baby with a bald chicken. It was by no means a pretty sight, yet it seemed relatively docile if you ignored the property damage. It had let Kit, someone a third of his size, drag him out of the alley by his hand. Kit appeared pretty sure the thing was safe. It was just... well, what if it wasn't? It was a truly dicey situation. With quirks the way they were, it was impossible to tell if they was an experiment gone wrong, or a human being in need. Maybe it was a mixture of both.

"I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and say he's not going to hurt us." Kit seemed to decide, sounding confident. He always did when he made decisions, and he was usually right. And in the scenarios in which he wasn't, he'd do anything to change that. Whether that meant throwing the first punch or arguing until he came out the victor. It was stubborn, but inspiring at the same time. Izuku nodded. He'd learned long ago not to doubt Kit. It didn't end well most of the time. Plus, there wasn't a point. Izuku trusted his brunette friend with his life.

"Alright... do you think he has a name? Should we give him one?" Izuku questioned. He wasn't sure what they were going to do with the hulking beast. They certainly couldn't keep it here. Or maybe they could, but Izuku wasn't sure how his mother would feel walking in to see some eight-foot tall bird man with an exposed brain chilling with her son and one of her son's best friends. An exposed brain which had the thing's eyes coming out of it, no less. It still made Izuku shiver to watch the thing look around. Where did the eyes connect to? Was it all implanted in the brain? Did the brain have a pair of indents in it to make way for all the nerves and connections? The freckled boy had no idea.

Kit wasn't sure why he'd spontaneously grabbed this thing's hand and asked it to come with him. The poor thing-- guy?-- would've just ended up in some lab or prison somewhere had he not. It hadn't said a word, nor made any attempts to communicate, verbally or otherwise. Kit knew how the legal system in Japan worked. They'd see him as someone, or something, that was unwilling to cooperate. The terrified woman who'd run from the alley screaming would give her statement, and that would be the end of it. The fact that they weren't likely to dig deeper than that made Kit's nose scrunch up, and his lip curl.