Chapter 6

Third person pov

It has been stated before that Kit isn't an idiot, and that fact still holds true. He's quick-witted and quite sharp. He'd taken some time for himself to work out what he was feeling, and he'd come to a firm but simple conclusion. He definitely, without a doubt, had a crush on Tenya, and... that was that. There wasn't much else to it. He liked Tenya, and was pretty sure Tenya liked him back. The only issue was that Tenya wasn't out of the closet. Hell, the guy was clearly still trying to figure out what his sexuality was and how to deal with it.

There was only a month left in summer, and then they'd be thrown back into the hell hole that was Somei Private Academy. Tenya made the place bearable, but attending still wasn't pleasant. Tenya was someone he could count on. The tall boy kept him in line, had stopped him from getting expelled several times in the weeks leading up to summer, and was just someone who was generally trust worthy. Despite Kit's trust for him, the teen hadn't told him everything. While Tenya had told Kit everything there was to know about himself, there were things Kit was still hiding. Or was, before now.

Blood was pouring from the wound on his head. He wasn't concussed, but wounds to the head did always tend to bleed more than others. It was nothing more than a simple gash. It wasn't the most concerning wound he'd ever gotten. On it's own, he probably would have just pressed a towel to it and called it a day. Maybe gone to the ER to have them stitch it up, wielding a simple excuse like 'I tripped' or 'I fell in the shower.' Only it wasn't his only injury, which took the option off the table entirely.

It's not like Kit liked getting the shit beat out of him. There was a gash on his cheeks, surrounding by a darkening bruise that stung and made him feel like thousands of tiny needles were stabbing at his face. He had several bruises up and down his arms, and his ribs were the worse. Half his stomach was painted a purplish green, climbing down his waist to a part of his leg. It hurt anytime he touched it, but he didn't think he'd broken anything. 

He had to get out of the house. His mother didn't often lose her temper, but when she did, she lost it bad. It hadn't happened for a while. When it did, Kit made it a habit not to be around. His dad had died when he was young, and his mother had been a raging bitch ever since. She was obsessed with the company her husband had left behind, and had come to hate Kit to an extent due to how much he looked like his deceased father. Looking at him hurt, and he could understand that. Kit just didn't think physically attacking him was the best response to that grief.

There was nowhere for him to go. Most of the time he'd crawl back into his room and lock the door. Maybe barricade it with his dresser if he could muster up the strength. The issue was that the attack had happened in his bedroom, forcing him to slip out the window and take off running before she could further injure him. There had been times when she'd beaten him to the point where he couldn't walk. During those times, he felt painfully helpless. The thought of not being able to run away made him sick to his stomach.

He was a bit numb to his mother's behavior. He could talk about it flippantly and acted like he didn't care, but it hurt. At home, he was afraid. It's why he was so brash and guarded when he left. Tenya was one of the only people Kit had ever opened up to. When he hit the lawn and started to run, he made a bee-line towards his house without ever thinking about it. That was pretty much the moment Kit knew that if there was anyone out there for him, it was probably Tenya.

He didn't want to burden Tenya with his issues. The tall teenager had a good life with a loving family of heroes. Kit had a shitty mother obsessed with money who used any and every excuse to beat on Kit. Kit didn't know why. He loved his mother. He didn't like her, particularly, but you didn't have to like someone to love them. It hurt, because he could remember a time when his mother was adoring, and affectionate, and everything a mother could be. Kit could remember feeling safe with her at one time. Where that had all gone, he didn't know.