Chapter I

It was a beautiful island.

One that humans or faunus would be entirely confused and out of place if they were there. The island's architecture was like one large trail, which led to massive loops, and sometimes ramps that led to another ramp.

Running around that island was like a game to Sonic the Hedgehog.

He ran at incredible speeds, a blue blur trailing behind him. Running those loops was his favorite part. His speed allowed him to go entirely upside down, and keep going, as long as he didn't stop.

Sonic had been told numerous times not to run around the island like this. He was told it was dangerous. That he would be found. But he was only a child. He didn't care. He was sure it could be figured out. Besides, he had something he wanted to bring back home.

Sonic sped through the green forests of the island, until he found himself in the village. It was settled in the trees, with bridges of wood connecting each building, which were shaped like relatively small, circular-shaped huts. They were big enough for those living inside to have the accommodations needed for their homes, but not too small to be a living space. Here, homes were just a form of shelter.

Sonic ran into one of the buildings, and leapt up, bouncing off of the chest of a large owl named Longclaw.

Longclaw's eyes opened, and she stared down at the giggling hedgehog. She was his adoptive parent. She'd taken care of him for years, and Sonic saw her as a mother. Her loving blue eyes gazed down at him, with an expression of worry.

"Sonic," she said, "someone could've seen you."

Sonic shook his head. "No one saw me. I'm too fast. And, I wanted to bring you this."

He lifted a flower in his hand, holding it out for Longclaw to take. It was one of the island's special flowers, with a circular middle and spike-shaped, yellow petals pointing out of every direction.

Longclaw smiled, and reached down to take the flower. Then, she halted, her eyes spotting something behind the blue hedgehog.

A clan of echidnas stood in the trees behind Sonic, pointing bows and arrows directly at him.

"Get down!" Longclaw shouted.

She lunged at Sonic, grasping him in her wings, and using her talons to shut the front door as the echidnas fired their arrows.

They heard thumping sounds all around the building, and an arrow shot through the window, hitting Sonic's flower.

Longclaw stood up, keeping Sonic wrapped in her wings. They looked to the windows, and saw echidnas climbing through, holding nets, spears, and bows in their hands.

Longclaw glared as the largest echidna walked closest to her, raising a spear for the kill. But she flew forward, holding Sonic gently in her talons, and bashing the echidna through the window. He fell from the window and down the trees below, as the owl flew away.

Sonic watched as the echidnas shot arrows at them, and tossed spears. Longclaw swerved back and forth, avoiding everything that came for her.

Suddenly, she cried out in agony as an arrow struck her, and she fell to the ground, tucking Sonic into her wings.

She crashed against the checkered dirt of the island. She shook her head, taking a moment to get her senses together, and refusing to let go of the hedgehog held safe in her wings.

She stood up, dizziness from her wound making it hard to steady herself. She knew she wouldn't be able to go on for long. She looked down to Sonic, and placed him on the ground.

"Listen carefully, Sonic," she said, focusing on what she needed to say as she placed him down. "You have a power unlike anything I have ever seen, and that means someone will always want it. The only way to stay safe is to stay hidden."

She reached to her satchel, pulling out a golden ring. Rings were used by many cultures in multiple worlds. When tossed, they would enlarge, creating a portal to wherever the user was thinking of. It could be used to travel to another location in your current world, or to travel to another world entirely.

She tossed the ring, which opened a portal to another world. Sonic peered through, seeing a forest at night.

"This world is on the far side of the universe," Longclaw said. "You should be safe there."

Sonic looked up to Longclaw. "Are you coming?"

She shook her head, already hearing the echidnas approaching. The rings stayed open for a long time. She could keep this open for Sonic to escape, but if she didn't guard it, the echidnas could get through.

"You need to go on without me," she said.

Sonic shook his head. "No! I don't want to go without you!"

"You must!" Longclaw insisted, putting her satchel into Sonic's gloved hands. "These rings will be your most important possession."

She looked up, and gasped as she saw the echidnas burst through the bushes, charging towards them.

"If you're ever discovered," she said, "use one! Never stop running!" She pushed Sonic to the portal. "Now go!"

With the pouch of rings in hand, Sonic ran through the portal into the entirely new world.

The instant he stepped through, he could feel a difference in the world's atmosphere. It was colder, yet somehow more calming than the one he had come from.

Sonic ran into the forest as fast as he could, and, as he turned around, he saw Longclaw fighting off any echidna that came too close to the portal. But more were closing in, and she was going to fail. Another arrow struck her in the wing, and another against her chest.

"Longclaw!" Sonic shouted.

Unwilling to watch his mother die, Sonic dropped the satchel of rings, and ran for the portal.

Longclaw looked back to the portal, smiling despite the agonizing pain she was in.

"Goodbye, Sonic."

"No!"

An echidna leapt up behind Longclaw, striking his spear into her back.

The portal closed, and Sonic was too late to get to her.

"No!"

He slowed to a stop, breathing heavily. He looked around at the world around him.

He was alone, and could only hear a chirping sound. Longclaw was gone, and he was lost in this strange, new world. Terrified, he ran for the satchel of rings. He opened it up, and, inside, he saw a map. He pulled it out, and saw images of multiple worlds he could travel to. In the bottom right corner of the map, he could see the image of an emerald.

Sonic put the map back into the satchel. He'd look at it later. For now, he needed to find shelter.

As Sonic set out into the forest of this strange, new world. Longclaw had told him his whole life to stay hidden. She'd told him not to let himself be discovered. She'd warned him of this very situation. But he didn't listen. And now, she had paid the price for his actions, her final request to stay hidden. To never let himself get discovered.

He'd never disobey her again . . .