Chapter XIII

Weiss was having a bad day.

The blue hedgehog in her suitcase hadn't stopped talking, and a few moments, she'd nearly been caught. Yet, still, he didn't stop talking. Her first plan was to get herself a vehicle so she wouldn't have to walk all the way to the airship headed for Vale. She'd ordered her tickets for one a few hours earlier, so she could spend a little more time with her friends before she'd leave to go back home.

But she had no license, and didn't know anything about what it took to buy a car. Luckily, the airship was leaving tomorrow. She at least needed a place to rest, which meant she'd also need something to eat for dinner.

Night had fallen when she'd found the gas station, and she decided to get something to eat there before finding a hotel to stay. There also happened to be a payscroll there, and she could hopefully call someone before she left. She headed into a nearby alleyway, where the security cameras wouldn't catch her, where she let Sonic out from the suitcase.

He leapt out as she unzipped the case, dusting himself off.

"Can we please find somewhere else to hide me, Ice Queen?" he said.

"Could you stop with the Ice Queen?!" Weiss said. "My name is Weiss Schnee!"

Sonic wasn't fazed by the sudden aggression, instead smiling at her, and pointing to himself with a thumb.

"I'm Sonic."

"Sonic," Weiss repeated. At first, the name was strange to her. But the more she thought of it, the more she liked it. A fitting name for the little blue hedgehog, and one that she surprisingly liked to say out loud. "Sonic . . ."

She shook the name from her thoughts, and got down to business. "Listen, I'm going to go in there and get us some food, but first I need to call Ruby."

"How are you going to talk to Ruby?" Sonic asked. "You left your scroll behind."

Weiss pointed to the payscroll.

"You're going to see Ruby in that glass thing?" Sonic said. "What is it, a teleportation box?"

"It's a payscroll," she said. "It's mostly for drug dealers and fugitives from the law like us. Now stay right here, I'll be right back."

Sonic scoffed in frustration. "Fine."

He leaned against the suitcase as Weiss walked away.

A few seconds passed, and Sonic was already tapping his shoe in impatience. Sitting in the suitcase without being able to move was boring enough, but sitting in one place for an extended period of time was probably a tad more boring. At least in the suitcase, he was being dragged around. But now he had to stand still. If there was one thing Sonic hated, it was standing still.

He looked around for a moment, trying to find something to do without getting himself caught. Then, he looked to his left, and saw the building across the street. The building had a long road leading up to it, and was rather large, with large, neon words writing, "Casinopolis". His eyes widened as he looked at it. He'd never been to a casino before. From what he'd seen, it looked fun. Certainly more fun than waiting for Weiss to finish with whatever she was doing.

No, no, he had to stay here. Weiss was just going to call Ruby . . . but for how long? And hadn't she said she was going to buy food afterwards?

Sonic started pacing around the suitcase, doing everything he could to control himself. He didn't want to face the Ice Queen's wrath. But she was going to hate him either way. He'd brought her into this. No, that was exactly why he needed to stay here. He'd brought her into his mess, and he needed to get her out of it as soon as possible.

But that casino looked so cool . . .

Sonic peered into the suitcase, which was mostly empty since Weiss had barely started packing. But he spotted Weiss' pajamas inside, her school uniform, and an outfit he'd never seen her wear. He had a few decisions here. He decided on the uniform, taking her maroon blazer with golden brown lining and twin buttons, and leaving the rest behind.

Weiss was entirely unaware of any of this. She was trusting Sonic, and a part of her knew that was a mistake. But she didn't really have a choice but to leave him behind so she could call Ruby, and she figured he'd rather not be trapped in that suitcase for any longer than he needed to.

She lifted the scroll in the box, and entered her credit card information, before dialing Ruby's number. She waited for a few seconds, before she someone finally picked up.

"Ruby?" Weiss said.

She heard Ruby hushing her on the other end.

"Some weird guys just came into the house looking for you!" she whispered.

"What?" Weiss whispered.

"They're dressed up in black suits!" Ruby whispered. "The guy in charge as a mustache from the Great War!"

From her end, Ruby was hiding outside of the living room, where Doctor Robotnik was speaking to Taiyang Xiao Long as he tried to get them out. They'd come in talking about Weiss and terrorism, and when Ruby had gotten a call from an unknown number, she'd moved aside in the hopes that it was Weiss. Sure enough, it was.

"What do they want?" Weiss asked.

"They're looking for you," Ruby whispered. "They said something about terrorism. I've been trying to tell them that you didn't do anything but they're not listening."

"Listen," Weiss said, "don't tell them we talked, alright?"

Ruby nodded. "Alright--"

She was cut off as she felt her scroll get tugged from her hand. She spun around, and watched in horror as Robotnik spoke into the scroll.

"Ms. Schnee?" he said.

Weiss grimaced at the sound of his voice. "Good evening, Doctor."

"I want you to know that the only person who ever hit me was the school bully," he said. "He hit me in the cafeteria, causing a blunt-force contusion to the soft tissue surrounding my orbital bone. Humiliated me in front of the entire school! And you know what I did in response?"

"I assume you reported him to the principal's office?" Weiss said.

"No," Robotnik said. "I examined the inefficiency of a world where brawn trumped brain, and I used technology to resolve that inefficiency. The boy ate from a straw for a year. And I have never lost another fight . . . until today."

Weiss smiled. "I suppose that makes me lucky."

"No, because you're about to become the bully with the straw! I'm coming for you, Ms. Schnee! And when I find you, I'll--"

Weiss hung up the scroll before he could continue.

"Hello?" Robotnik said, not realizing she'd hung up. "Hello? Hello, hello, hello?"

Ruby pointed to the scroll. "I think she hung up, because I noticed the call isn't on anymore."

"Thank you, Little Miss Brainfart," Robotnik said.

Yang stepped inbetween Robotnik and Ruby.

"What did you just call my little sister?!" she said.

"Don't bother yourself with threats," Robotnik said with a smile. "You just stay here and be 'u' . . . seless."

Ruby pouted, while Yang scowled as Robotnik left.

As soon as the door shut, Yang turned to her little sister.

"Are you alright?" she asked.

Ruby looked up at Yang. "Weiss . . ."

Yang sighed, pulling her into a hug. "She'll be okay."

"But what if he finds her?" Ruby asked, terrified for her friend. "What if he tries to arrest her? What if he tries to kill her?"

Yang had nothing to say. Usually, Ruby was the one that made her happy. She had been happy when her little sister had been chosen as the team leader. She was somehow more put together than Yang ever was, even after she lost her mom. But now, even Ruby didn't know what to say. All Yang could give was empty reassurances.

"She can take care of herself . . ."