Chapter VIII

The baseball field was no longer empty.

The Atlesian military had tracked down the source of the explosion to this field. Now it was filled with Atlesian scientists and soldiers doing everything they could to find out what had caused this.

Ironwood was giving orders to one of his men, when he heard the sound of a truck approaching.

He turned around, and scowled as he saw the massive, black truck driving into the baseball field. A few black SUVs were following behind it. It had no windows. Instead, near the top of the vehicle, there was a glowing, red camera.

The side of the truck opened up, creating a staircase leading to the grass.

Doctor Ivo Robotnik stepped up to the exit.

He was a tall, lean, slick man with a full head of chocolate brown hair in an undercut style, along with a large elegant mustache, a normal healthy looking nose, brown eyes, and fair skin. He wore a long black trenchcoat with four customized tails and red piping, a dark grey tunic and trousers, black high top trainers and specially modified gloves which allow him to remotely control his drones and other equipment. He also wore a pair of rectangular sunglasses over his eyes.

Robotnik climbed down the stairs onto the grass.

The door to the SUVs opened, and Robotnik's personal assistant, Agent Stone, climbed out from one of them. Stone was an average heighted slim man in his late twenties to early thirties with short, slicked black hair and brown eyes and had a neatly trimmed beard. He also wore a black suit with a navy shirt and black tie.

Ironwood crossed his arms behind his back, and watched as Robotnik approached, Stone not far behind. The doctor took off his glasses, giving a sly smile to the general.

"Are you in charge here?" he asked.

Ironwood nodded. "Yes, I a--"

"Nope!" Robotnik cut him off.

"I--"

"Wrong!"

"My--"

"I'm in charge!"

"Name--"

"Me!"

"Is General Iron--"

"I'm in charge," Robotnik said, now in a low hiss that finally silenced the general.

He turned to Stone, who was showing Robotnik's badge. It was not a badge that Ironwood had seen before, and he wasn't entirely sure what it meant.

"You've never seen this before?" Robotnik said, as if reading his mind. "It says I'm the top banana, in a world full of hungry little monkeys. Allow me to clarify!"

Robotnik lifted a finger to point upwards, and turned his head, torso, and arm to look to the left, imitating the sound of gears shifting.

"In a sequentially ranked hierarchy based on a level of critical importance, the disparity between us is too vast to quantify. Agent Stone?"

"The doctor thinks you're basic," Stone said as Robotnik walked away.

"I'm initiating a sweep sequence," Robotnik said, lifting his glove.

On the palm of the glove was a small control panel. He pressed a couple of buttons.

"Ten miles in every direction should suffice," he continued, before talking to Stone without turning back around. "Is he still looking at me funny?"

"Yes he is," Stone said, still staring at Ironwood.

"Tell him to stop or I'll pull up his search history," Robotnik ordered.