Chapter XVI

Casinopolis was blocked off by police tape.

The police were keeping a barricade outside, but none of them were allowed inside. The only ones inside were Doctor Robotnik, and the agents that worked with him, along with the witnesses from the previous night.

Everyone told a similar story: a group of men walked up to Weiss Schnee when the hedgehog attacked them. There was a detail that was different depending on who told the story. The actual men who were attacked claimed they'd just spoken to Ms. Schnee when she "sicced" the hedgehog on them. Witnesses, however, said that they'd pinned her to the table and the hedgehog had quickly come to her aid, taking them all out in an instant.

Robotnik knew he could trust the witnesses, especially since the men the hedgehog had attacked worked for Roman Torchwick, a known criminal. He'd also discovered the moments before the men were taken out was removed from security camera footage. But it made no difference to him either way.

Agent Stone was questioning Roman, who had sustained few injuries after the hedgehog had sent him tumbling into a table. He showed Torchwick a picture of Weiss.

"Did she tell you where she was going?" he asked.

Roman Torchwick took the photo, and chuckled as he saw her.

"Maybe, maybe not," he said. "What's in it for me?"

Robotnik placed a hand on Stone's shoulder, pulling him aside.

"Stand down, Agent Stone," he said, stepping up to Torchwick. "This well-meaning citizen obviously doesn't understand the urgency of the matter."

Roman stood up, smirking as he stared at Robotnik at eye level.

"Really?"

Robotnik smiled.

Seconds later, he walked away from Torchwick, who was lying on the remains of the same table that had been fixed after he'd stumbled into it last night.

"Now that's what I call good cop, bad cop," he said as he and Stone left the casino.

He held out his hand for a high five. Stone smiled as he tried to give him the high five, but Robotnik pulled his hand away, grabbed him by the shoulder, and swung his fist between his ribs with a, "Hoi!" As Stone collapsed to the ground, Robotnik walked away without looking back.

"Left yourself open," he said.

Stone stood up, gasping for air, and followed Robotnik to his truck.

"Looking at her records," Robotnik said as he approached the computer in the truck, "I saw she has an airship headed for Patch Island today." He started pressing keys on the computer. "Judging by the nearest hotel, the quickest route to the airport, the approximate speed of their vehicle, and local weather conditions, they should be . . . right about . . . here."

He pulled up a location on a road, and pulled up camera footage of the road. He saw the stolen vehicle, and took a quick screenshot. After zooming in, he could clearly see a white-haired woman, who looked far different from Ms. Schnee. However, she had the same blue hedgehog seated in the passenger seat, and he had no doubts in his mind that Ms. Schnee had seen a recent report of her terrorism, and had decided to change her appearance to make it harder to spot her.

It didn't matter to him. He was finding her easily.

"That's brilliant, sir," Stone said in awe, referring to how Robotnik had found them.

"Thanks," Robotnik said.

He turned away, and added one more thing in a whisper.

"For nothing . . ."