Chapter XXI

"Sonic".

Yang Xiao Long stared at the unconscious creature on the kitchen counter. That's what Weiss had called it. Sonic. She also called it, "him". She had no clue what this thing was, but Weiss seemed to care about it, which was strange. Yang had known Weiss for months now, and she had never been so concerned for anything the way she was for this "Sonic" thing. She'd only seen her two days ago, and she'd gone from the Ice Queen she knew and tolerated to being terrified at the possibility of the creature dying. Even when Tai had insisted on her leaving so he could take over, she refused, sticking close to it without moving, other than occasionally stroking its fur.

Yang had an endless supply of questions in her mind. Where had the creature come from? Where did the name "Sonic" come from? Did Weiss name it "Sonic"? Where did she find it? Was this thing the reason she was being labeled a terrorist? If so, what could this creature have done to have the government after it? Why was Weiss protecting it? Why did she refuse to leave it? And why did she seem to care for it so much?

Once the initial shock had settled, Blake was quite curious about it. She had asked a few questions, but mostly observed it, only avoiding touching it because Weiss insisted her to do so.

Tai was still just as shocked and confused as Yang was, but he'd agreed to get the medical kit for the thing.

Ruby was the only one who seemed genuinely thrilled about the little thing. She was the one Weiss was guarding the creature from the most, constantly slapping her hand when she tried to touch it, and insisting that she give it space.

"He's hurt really bad. Don't make it worse."

Finally, Tai came back into the room with the med kit, and set it down next to the creature.

"Can you help him?" Weiss asked.

"I'm not sure," Tai admitted. "I'm not a veterinarian. I don't know how to handle Zwei, and I don't even have a clue what I'm looking at."

"He's a hedgehog," Weiss said. "Or so he says."

"It talks?" Yang said.

"Almost constantly."

Tai took the hedgehog's arm, and felt its wrist for a pulse. His eyes widened.

"Whoa!"

"What?" Weiss asked.

"His pulse is super fast!"

"That might be normal for him," Weiss said. "Is he going to be alright?"

"I don't know his physiology," Tai said. "He doesn't seem to have any broken bones. He's just really banged up."

He took off the hedgehog's shoes, and set them aside to look at its feet, which were hidden underneath its socks. But despite that, it was obvious how damaged they were.

"Holy!" he gasped. "His feet!"

Ruby walked up to the shoes, and lifted them up, looking at the soles. They were burned up, from what exactly, no one knew. Ruby gasped as an idea came to her, and she dashed upstairs, using her semblance to speed herself up in a burst of rose petals.

Weiss' eyes widened, and she dug inside the med kit.

"Whoa!" Tai backed up. "What are you doing?!"

Weiss smiled as she found what she was looking for, and she pulled out a bag of smelling salts. She pulled one out, and held it to the hedgehog's nose, snapping it.

"Come on, Sonic," she whispered. "Wake up."

The smell came to Sonic's nose, and his eyes shot open as he felt his energy quickly replenish.