Chapter XXV

"There it is!"

On the third tower, they finally found the satchel of rings laying on the roof, untouched since Weiss had watched it fall.

"What is that?" Klein asked.

Weiss set down the duffel bag, and turned to her butler.

"Listen," she said, "what you're about to see is the reason I'm being labeled a terrorist. I'm warning you right now, he isn't normal."

"'He'?" Klein said.

"But don't worry!" Ruby reassured, kneeling down next to Weiss at the bag. "He's really friendly! We promise he won't hurt you!"

Klein looked to Weiss.

"Trust me," she said. "He's nothing that you've seen before, but he is very friendly."

Klein was clearly confused, but he sighed. "Alright. What is it?"

Weiss reached for the zipper, and opened the bag, letting Sonic burst out, shaking his quills, and gasping for air. Klein's eyes widened, and he stepped back as he saw the blue hedgehog.

"Please stop putting me in these things!" Sonic said to Weiss.

"Klein," Weiss said, "this is Sonic. I've been trying to get him to safety. But, unfortunately, I've dealt with a lot of . . . difficulties on the way."

"A mustache'd weirdo with a bunch of robots," Sonic elaborated, before climbing out of the bag entirely.

He spotted the satchel rings, and ran towards it. He picked it up, and strapped it over his chest.

"Is this what you were looking for?" Weiss asked.

Sonic zipped up in front of her, and pulled a golden ring from the satchel, showing it to her.

"Yes!" he said.

Klein stepped up behind Weiss and Ruby, staring down at Sonic with intrigue.

"So, what now?" Ruby asked.

"Now I think of where I want the ring to appear, and I throw it," Sonic said.

"So that's it?" Weiss said, shocked at how anticlimactic this adventure was. "We did it?"

Sonic smiled. "Yeah! We did it!"

Weiss sighed. This was it. This was how their adventure was going to end. After everything that had happened in the past two days, and the amount of effort it would take after this to clear her name, she was expecting more from the end of the journey. And yet, it was all so simple.

This was it. This was the last conversation she'd have with him.

"Hey," she said, "I'm sorry we didn't get to do everything on your bucket list."

"It's okay," Sonic assured. "I did the ones I needed the most."

Ruby cooed. "Oooh! You two are so cute!"

Klein smiled, knowing exactly how Weiss was going to react.

"What?!" she said, looking offended. "No!"

"We are not!" Sonic joined in.

"We aren't 'cute'! What would cause you to say such a thing?!"

"We are a couple of loose cannons, just living by our own rules."

"Exactly!" Weiss nodded.

"If you say so," Klein said from behind.

Weiss looked back down to Sonic.