14| "𝗍𝗁𝗂𝗌 𝖼𝖺𝗋𝗍 𝗂𝗌 𝖺𝗅𝗅 𝗂 𝗁𝖺𝗏𝖾 𝗅𝖾𝖿𝗍."

CHAPTER FOURTEEN:

"THIS CART IS ALL I HAVE LEFT."

The scorching sun was hot as it shined down on the dead zone and the group walking through

The scorching sun was hot as it shined down on the dead zone and the group walking through. Unlike what their usually was, there were no sound of birds or insects as they chirped and buzzed around and past the civilians ears. No grass could be seen anywhere, no trees, dirt, nothing like what it was before.

All there could be seen was sand and nothing else. It was hard to find some shade in the dead zone as the sun was shining almost everywhere and not hiding behind the clouds like it was back at Camp Jaha and the dropship and pretty much everywhere else that had no sand being seen around, the grass and trees and the color green only being seen instead.

In the group that could be seen walking through the sand, Y/n was gripping the straps of her bag that was over her shoulders as she walked up a hill. Like everyone else, sand had stained her clothes quite a bit. Her usual soft lips were now chapped, along with her skin a bit as she let out quiet pants.

They had been walking for about two days now, and nothing was in sight except for sand. The Blake girl wore a scarf-like material over her head and around her shoulders a bit so she could cover her face whenever a sandstorm or something would come by, also just so the sun wouldn't be burning her face as her h/c locks blew in her hair and in front of her eyes.

As she got up the hill, she walked in-between two men who had stopped at the top after speaking with Jaha, who had now walked down the hill. Along their travel, Jaha had gotten a large stick to walk with, not like he needed it. While walking down the hill, the sound of Murphy's voice rang through her ears as he spoke to the two men before following her down the hill, trying not to fall.

Both teenagers of the group stopped beside Jaha before they were walking around the large sand hill, seeing an abandoned cart just a few feet away from them. What they didn't expect, was for a person, a girl, to jump out of it as she unsheathed a knife, her scarf material covering the bottom half of her face.

"Stay back or I'll kill you." The girl threatens in grounder.

Jaha slowly raises a hand. "We mean you no harm. Do you speak English?"

"What do you want?" The girl asks, speaking English.

"Nothing. It looks like you could use a hand." Jaha observes. "What are you doing out here alone?"

The girl sheathes her knife, taking off the scarf, revealing her face. "My brother and I were on our way to the City of Light, and wastelanders attacked. They took our horse, all our water, everything. They killed him. This cart is all I have left."

"Give her some water." Jaha demands.

Murphy watches as Y/n takes off a strap of her backpack, going to grab her canteen of water. However, the man beside them stops her as he grabs her arm, making Murphy glare at him as the man shakes his head, protesting on giving the mysterious girl some water.