007.

──── chapter seven

{ 🔮 }  · one of endora's specialties

{ 🔮 }  · one of endora's specialties . ݁ ٬٬ ࣪

ENDORA REALLY HATED THIS RANCH. The deck was set up for a party. Streamers and balloons decorated the railing. Geryon was flipping burgers on a huge barbecue cooker made from an oil drum. Eurytion lounged at a picnic table, picking his fingernails with a knife. The two-headed dog sniffed the ribs and burgers that were frying on the grill. Tyson, Grover, Annabeth, and Nico all tossed in a corner, tied up like rodeo animals, with their ankles and wrists roped together and their mouths gagged.

And Endora? Well, Geryon had apparently encountered her kind before as he chained the girl's wrists with enchanted shackles ─ they burned her skin if she tried to use her magic and by now, Endora could see burn marks forming underneath them because she just wouldn't give up.

"Let them go!" Percy yelled, as he ran up the steps. "I cleaned the stables!" the first thing his eyes went to was Endora, and she could see his angry look turned to almost murderous as he eyed the shackles around her wrist ─ redness surrounding it.

Geryon turned. He wore an apron on each chest, with one word on each, so together they spelled out: KISS—THE—CHEF. "Did you, now? How'd you manage it?"

Impatiently and with his eyes glaring at Geryon, Percy told the story. Endora was truly impressed.

He nodded appreciatively. "Very ingenious. It would've been better if you'd poisoned that pesky naiad, but no matter."

"Let my friends go," Percy said. "We had a deal."

"Ah, I've been thinking about that. The problem is, if I let them go, I don't get paid."

"You promised!"

Geryon made a tsk-tsk noise. "But did you make me swear on the River Styx? No you didn't. So it's not binding. When you're conducting business, sonny, you should always get a binding oath." 

Percy drew his sword. Orthus growled. One head leaned down next to Grover's ear and bared its fangs.

"Eurytion," Geryon said, "the boy is starting to annoy me. Kill him."

Eurytion studied the son of Poseidon. Percy didn't like his odds against him and that huge club. 

"Kill him yourself," Eurytion said.

Geryon raised his eyebrows. "Excuse me?"

"You heard me," Eurytion grumbled. "You keep sending me out to do your dirty work. You pick fights for no good reason, and I'm getting tired of dying for you. You want to fight the kid, do it yourself."

It was the most un-Ares like thing Endora'd ever heard son of Ares say.

Geryon threw down his spatula. "You dare defy me? I should fire you right now!"