13. You Always Come First

Rose:

Every time I shut my eyes a new nightmare plays behind my closed lids and I wake up startled, frantically searching my room for any visible threats. Finding none, I cry for a few minutes before succumbing again to the darkness and then wake up soon after and repeat the same thing.

Maddox has called me last night, but I didn't pick up because I knew if he heard my voice he'd want to come and check on me and I honestly didn't have the energy to recap what happened so soon. He sent me a text after I didn't answer his call, letting me know that they killed it at the game and that he wishes he was with me in my dorm instead of at the party his friends dragged him to. Which is another reason why I didn't tell him last night. I didn't want to ruin his happiness.

I decided to tell him today though, because I don't want to keep secrets from him. I'm sure he'll flip out, but I can handle Maddox. I think.

Fixing my ponytail at the top of my head, I wince at the pain that erupts through my wrist. It's bruised and it definitely needs ice but I don't have much time for that now because class starts in fifteen minutes, so I'm gonna have to deal with it later.

Someone knocks softly on the door, and even though I know it's Maddox, probably with a cupcake in hand, I still jump at the sound.

Sighing, I head to the door and pull it open. As expected, Maddox stands with a chocolate cupcake and a smile that is soon gone once his eyes scan my face.

"Rose, are you okay? You look really tired." His eyebrows furrow in concern.

"I didn't sleep much." I admit quitely as I take the cupcake and shut my door behind me.

His eyes soften along with his worried expression. "Nightmares? Or was your head talking too much again?"

"Both." I look down at my black furry uggs.

"I'm sorry I wasn't there." He says grumpily. "Next time call me. Even if it's the middle of the night. Okay, Angel?"

I smile at him and he reciprocates it. My eyes start to water involuntarily and I close them and take a deep breath to calm myself down. I don't want to freak him out before explaining what happened last night first.

"You don't look too good, Angel. Do you wanna skip? I can take you for breakfast. Or ice cream. Or anything else you want. Just tell me what to do and I'll do it." He states desperately, and I instantly have butterflies fluttering around inside of me. I've been feeling as empty and numb as the dead since I woke up three hours ago after my last nightmare, but one minute with Maddox is all it took to get my heart beating again.

"I just need a hug. Please." As soon as the words leave my mouth, I'm wrapped in his arms, my face resting against his broad chest. I can hear his heartbeat and it calms me down more effectively than anything I've ever experienced. His masculine scent invades my senses, instantly wrapping my exhausted heart in a blanket of safety and warmth. "Thank you."

"You're welcome." He drops a kiss on my forehead before pulling away and we make our way to our lecture.

Clearing my throat, I wipe my palms against my jeans, debating if I should tell him now or wait for later. Maddox notices my struggle because he stops walking at the entrance of the building. "Im sorry if I'm smothering you, but are you sure you're okay, Rose?"

Deciding to wait till after class, I nod my head. "I am, but there's s-something I want to talk to y-you about after class."

He frowns at my stutter. "Talk to me now."

I quickly shake my head. "After class. Y-you don't have to worry. It's not a big deal."

He doesn't buy it, I know he doesn't, because his frown deepens but Maddox has always been patient with me, never asking for too much. So he just sighs and nods his head.