18. Tell Me Why

Enjoy. *evil laugh*

-------

Maddox:

She's avoiding me again and it's freaking me the fuck out. One day she's okay and seems so happy with me that my heart fills with joy and pride. The next, she's sad and distant and seems to want to be left alone.

I don't want to ask again because I don't know what her reaction would be if I breathe down her neck, but my patience is starting to run thin. I'm too fucking worried and I don't really know how to deal with that.

I can't even go to fucking sleep because she's turned off her phone and I didn't get to call her goodnight. Hearing her voice before I go to bed has become another addictive habbit of mine and it makes me fucking anxious that I didn't get my dose tonight.

Ty thinks I should confront her and put an end to whetever the problem is. I agree, because I need to know what the fuck is going on that keeps her from being herself with me and I need to fucking fix it. I've also been a grumpy asshole and way too aggressive on the field during practices. Coach is not impressed either.

So I've decided to speak with her tomorrow about it. It's the weekend, we don't have any classes and no plans other than to watch a couple of movies.

Tomorrow, I'll figure this out. Tomorrow I'll fix this. If only tomorrow would come already.

--------

Rose:

I'm staring at the ceiling with my thoughts about the man I'm helplessly in love with keeping me company when my phone rings. Thinking it's Maddox, since he calls me every night, I pick up on the second ring. "How was practice? Did coach give you a hard time again?"

"Ella?" My blood runs cold as I hear the one voice I never imagined to hear again. I pull the phone from my ear and look at the caller to find an unknown number. But the person on the other line is very well known to me.

"H-hello?" I almost whisper, my heart pounding louder than my voice.

"Hey, Ella. Did I call at a bad time?" Jaxon asks and I don't know how to answer that.

Is any time really a good time for Jaxon to call me after everything that has happened between us?

"W-why are you calling m-me?" I ask because I honestly can't think of any possible reason for him to call after a year and a half of radio silence. There was a time where I wished for nothing more than to hear his voice again. I spent months staring at my phone wishing he'd call me. But now, as I hear him say my name after so long, I feel nothing but unease.

"Honestly, I have so much to say. I don't even know where to start." His voice is as smooth as I remember it to be, only now it doesn't get my heart fluttering like it used to. On the contrary, it makes me really uncomfortable. "I have a lot of explaining to do, Ella. Can we talk over dinner?"

I blink stupidly as I try to understand what's happening right now. First Cassandra comes back into my life, saying she misses me, and a couple of weeks later Jaxon calls me? And says he wants to have dinner? What the hell is wrong with the world?

"Elle? You still there?" He chuckles nervously and I frown because I've never heard Jaxon so nervous before.

"I'm h-here, but I d-don't think that's a g-good idea." I say truthfully. I don't want to see Jaxon and definitely not now.

If he notices my stutter he doesn't say anything. "I completely understand why you'd feel that, Ella. You have every right to hang up on me right now, but I really do need to speak with you. Please, Elle. I just want you to hear me out. You can leave whenever you want to. Just give me a chance to tell you what I should've a long time ago."