19. Only You

Maddox:

She just said she loves me. Me. My angel is in love with me.

Am I fucking hallucinating right now? Because I've imagined this more times than I'm proud to admit, but this feels different. This feels real.

Rose loves me. Fucking finally.

But she has it all wrong. The silly girl still has no clue that it's her I've been in love with for so long. "You stupid, stupid girl."

Her bottom lip trembles and a knife goes through my heart at the agony brewing in her eyes. "I'm so sorry. I know I am, Maddox."

"Just shut up and listen to me." I tighten my hold on her so she feels safer.

Her eyes meet mine as the tears fall down her cheeks. "Are you gonna leave m-me?"

She looks like she's ready to beg me not to, and I need to show her that I should be the one on my fucking knees right now. "I told you I'm not going anywhere."

Her face looks slightly more hopeful now. "So you believe m-me when I say that I'll never get in the way of your happy ending?"

I smile at her, thinking how fucking lucky I must be to have my dream come true after so fucking long. "Baby, you are my happy ending."

A small frown appears between her eyebrows and I know she's confused when she tilts her head. "W-what does that mean?"

"That means I love you too, you idiot. I love you so fucking much that Tyler believes I'm obsessed with you." I almost laugh when she frowns deeper, almost scowling at me, as if I was making a silly joke.

"No, but what about your girl?" She asks, genuinely oblivious to what I actually mean.

"You are my girl." I state with a grin the size of Jupiter.

Wiping her eyes, she huffs in annoyance. "Maddox, I mean the girl you're in l-love with. The one you told me about."

"It's you, Rose. It has always been you." The last part comes as a whisper and finally her eyes widen in understanding before she shakes her head quickly, as if refusing to let me give her hope. She jumps off my lap and stands in front of me.

"No." She says.

"Yes. I'm in love with you, Angel." I stand up as well but she puts some distance between us, trying to wrap her mind around this.

"No, it can't be." She looks at me accusingly. "Why would you lie to me right now? Why are you doing this?"

"I've never lied to you. You know that too." I use her words from earlier but once again she shakes her head.

Her eyes turn darker and I know she's mad, because she's glaring at me from across the room. "It can't be me because you told me about her on the very first day we met, Theo."

I groan. "Don't call me that."

"Then don't lie to me!" She shouts, waving with her arms.

"I'm not lying, Rose. I've told you that the first time we ever met was a year and a half ago, before you disappeared, remember? I've actually been in love with you for six fucking months before that day. I was going to ask you on a date that morning, but we got interrupted before I had the chance."

Her eyes look at me with panic, refusing to believe me. "No, you've told me about her. You said she was ---"

"An angel." I interrupt her, taking a step closer. "I've been dropping too many hints for you, baby. I told you that I have to keep her identity a secret because she's not ready for me. You weren't ready, Rose. I promised you I will tell you one day, though."